Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are These Vintage Fiji Cancels/Overprints?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,521Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5496 Posts
Posted 02/26/2015   9:43 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going through a 1940s-era stamp album looking for CDS/SOTN cancels and these two struck me as interesting.

The first has a straight-line "TAVUKI..." that does not appear to be part of the postal cancel. I'm not sure if it is an overprint or another type of cancel.

The second appears to be a commemorative cancel of some sort, related to a 1924 (Philatelic?) Exhibition.

Any ideas?

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 02/26/2015   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tavuki is a village on the island of Kadavu, south of the main Fiji island of Viti levu.

That straight-line cancel type was used in in many smaller villages in the early 1900's. Those villages did not have dated cancels, and the covers were almost always struck with additional Suva dated cancels once the letter reached the main G.P.O. for onward transit. Sometimes the Suva cancels also hit the stamps, other times they were clear of the stamps.

The violet cancel, I have no idea. It may be a revenue cancel.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Edited by BeeSee - 02/26/2015 10:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 02/26/2015   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second is a boxed slogan cachet used in Suva from late 1923 to early 1924.
VISIT THE FIJI COURT
British
Empire Exhibition
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 02/28/2015   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coincidentally, I ran across a site for the British Empire Exhibition that has a short bit on the Fiji pavilion, here:

http://www.bee1924.com/fiji.html

Quote:
Of perhaps more interest was the display of Yanggona—a coffee-like drink made from the roots of the Piper Methysticum. What everyone wanted to see was the former way the drink was made: women of the village would chew the plant until it was liquid, then would add the pulpy mess to water and stir.

Beats civet coffee, I guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this older thread.

I just found a similar stamp to the OP 1d KGV red. (Watermarked multiple crown and CA, so Scott 72). I can't match up any village or town, so am looking for help. This is a mint stamp, and the overprint is clearly impressed into the surface, showing pressure lines on the back. So, an overprint and not a cancellation, I believe.

Appears to be AVIUNI, but the right side shows a partial T (?). Thanks in advance.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8765 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Taveuni Island, Fiji with the overprint shifted so that the "T; is missing on the left?

https://www.fiji.travel/places-to-g...veuni-island
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4047 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Taviuni or Taveuni? Very plausible with the missing T, but are both spellings permitted?
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,521Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05