Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS Searching For The Mail Truck Of The Future

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 19,553Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
1542 Posts
Posted 03/10/2015   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still don't think a truck of this size will be able to maneuver successfully down a suburban road with cars parked on the side of the road.

Borrowed your image, wt1, hope you don't mind.

Edit-- Why do they need a new delivery truck anyway when 80% of the mail we get is junk mail. Just re-fit the existing trucks with a halon system in case of fire. (Or sprinkler systems ). Or just make new ones of the current design.

-IBFS
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
All science is either Physics or Stamp Collecting. -- Ernest Rutherford
Edited by I Brake For Stamps - 03/10/2015 8:00 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/18/2015   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS better hurry up and decide on a new mail truck design as they're losing them (through accidents or fires) faster than I can count. Here are another five postal vehicles totaled in the last month or so ... two just yesterday (March 17, 2015) alone!

Granted there are a lot of these vehicles on the road daily but for some reason there seems to be a disproportionate amount of serious accidents of postal vehicles being reported lately:

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/09/2015   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one bites the dust ...

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/16/2015   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the subject of the new Mail Truck the US Postal Service is looking for, it seems that they have short-listed the names of potential bidders to 15, including:

1. Ford Motor Company
2. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
3. Nissan Motor Company
4. Indian Tractor
5. Mahindra & Mahindra
6. AM General
7. Daimler AG's Heavy Truck Unit
8. Oshkosh
9. AMP Holding (a hybrid with a drone on its roof!)
10. Emerald Automotive
11. Zap Jonway, Inc.

I don't know what four are missing from the list, but that's all that have been published thus far:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/next-ma...s-1429139255

http://expressparcelandpostal.logis...0415-4555053

A revised list (in alphabetical order) showing all 15 prospective bidders is documented as follows:

1. AM General LLC
2. AMP Holding, Inc
3. Emerald Automotive
4. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC
5. Ford Motor Company
6. Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation
7. Karsan Company
8. Mahindra North American Technical Center
9. Morgan Olson, LLC
10. Nissan North America, Inc
11. OEM Systems, LLC
12. Oshkosh Corporation
13. Utilimaster Corporation
14. VT Hackney, Inc.
15. ZAP Jonway

http://www.federaltimes.com/story/g...ce/25874357/
Edited by wt1 - 04/17/2015 02:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1305 Posts
Posted 04/16/2015   3:54 pm  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They should be considering Canada's postal trucks. They are apparently better than what USPS has - if the pics are any indication.
Pillar Of The Community
7010 Posts
Posted 04/16/2015   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe this is more on the scale of a larger vehicle

Larger the vehicle, the larger the fire...

How about this one..Might work...haha
The MaxxPro MRAP vehicle

Edited by wert - 04/16/2015 6:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1542 Posts
Posted 04/16/2015   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about this one..Might work..

They are using them in Ferguson right now!

-IBFS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1993 Posts
Posted 04/16/2015   9:29 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could this be the last fleet of vehicles they ever buy? By the time the new ones reach end of life, will house delivery be by drone? It's not that far-fetched, especially given another 20 or 30 years.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/22/2015   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS is going to have to start finding their mail truck of the future very soon, as I am becoming more and more aware of the fact that the USPS is losing a lot of their vehicles to fires recently.

In fact, two USPS mail trucks were destroyed by fire just yesterday (04/21/2015) one in Pennsylvania and the other in Utah. While I realize the USPS has an enormous fleet of vehicles, two unrelated fires in one day seems excessive:

Edited by wt1 - 04/22/2015 4:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4006 Posts
Posted 04/22/2015   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last post reminded me of a Seinfeld episode involving Newman's mail truck. Couldn't resist sending this image.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 04/22/2015 6:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1542 Posts
Posted 04/24/2015   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The last post reminded me of a Seinfeld episode involving Newman's mail truck.

...oh the humanity!...

-IBFS
Pillar Of The Community
1542 Posts
Posted 05/17/2015   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Get 'em while they're hot!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/United-Stat...281361753593

Pull back and go action, Has rubber tire on the wheel.
Detailed inside with seats and steering wheel, openable back lift gate.
Material: Die-cast metal and plastic parts.
Size: 4.5"L x 2"W x 1.75"H.

Includes fire extinguisher. (?)

-IBFS
Edited by I Brake For Stamps - 05/17/2015 7:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
617 Posts
Posted 05/17/2015   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raymodj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For all those kids who want to grow up to deliver mail.

Heres what I wanted to do when I was 5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nyl...em3f4cecc50e

Pillar Of The Community
1542 Posts
Posted 05/20/2015   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering if a commemorative stamp to our beloved soon-to-be-retired mail truck is in order. I submit my proposed design...

-IBFS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 05/20/2015   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IBFS ...
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 19,553Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05