Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Will Stamp Collecting Survive?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 273 / Views: 32,837Next Topic
Page: of 19
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 03/10/2020   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dgwhite87, just keep doing what you're doing. When you find your niche, and you will, you will know it. You will only wonder why it took so long to find what is so clearly obvious and right.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8275 Posts
Posted 03/10/2020   12:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Do one thing at a time, do it well, move to the next.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4775 Posts
Posted 03/10/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philately is a journey of research and organization . The destination is not what you have but what others can enjoy that you have .

The person that can show a $1,000 stamp means nothing to me ,but the person who display and shows and can explain what there doing in their collection is the person I am impressed with .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4099 Posts
Posted 04/11/2020   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Millenials love stamps" vintage, pre digital & Instagram

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...p-collecting
Edited by redwoodrandy - 04/11/2020 2:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
908 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   2:48 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this article and decided to look on instagram to see if it was true. Found quite a good number of accounts. Here are a couple you may want to check out. Many IG'ers with over a thousand followers. Surprisingly good stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/ukstamps.ir/
https://www.instagram.com/philatelie_classique/
https://www.instagram.com/studia_marok/
https://www.instagram.com/purple_rain75/

There are many more.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. Thanks for posting this.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
Posted 04/13/2020   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing stories about our hobby is seeing a growth for at least now. I think it will stay around for a while, which is a good thing.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 04/13/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamphelpneeded to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the younger generations find out they can make some money on stamps, with their side hustle work when I want to mindset, stamps should flourish well into the future ... also with all the baby boomers retiring, even if the millennials don't pick up the hobby, there will still be a Strong Decade or more to look forward to.. & if this corona virus keeps us home for another month or two, I'm sure there will be a surge due to the boredom... most ppl are too busy to stay up with the hobby, yet I've noticed an uptick since the pandemic..
4 Posts
Posted 04/13/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mary_Stamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I'm a new member. I don't know if collecting stamps will survive, but we can all be agree that is a really pretty nice hobby.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
204 Posts
Posted 04/13/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did find this article encouraging. Apparently, it's "Instagram-able".

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...p-collecting

Alan

Update: Apologies to redwoodrandy, who I see already posted this link. I am still encouraged. :)
Edited by amccleaf1 - 04/13/2020 4:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
505 Posts
Posted 04/13/2020   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Short answer, yes, it will survive. Flourish even.
Valued Member
186 Posts
Posted 04/15/2020   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The key will be to attract younger collectors into the hobby. Baby boomers and generation Xers grew up in an age where physical items (stamps, coins, sports cards, etc.) could be collected and stored. Many millennials collect "pictures or images" and store them in their phones and tablets. Future albums would be more custom or personal vs. the traditional ones listed in alphabetical order. I like the fact that more stamp offices are going with more modern vs. traditional themes. I've been impressed with the Europa themes over the last 40 years that European countries can use to create their annual stamps each year.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 04/15/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This apparently is the time to have a social media presence. Our First Issues Collectors Club has a website, but no social media. I added a Twitter account this week @First_Stamps Going to reach out to members to see is we can get a Social Media Director to add Insta and Facebook. I think we need these to add young members, but we need a young member to effectively use these venues.

I am encouraged with the way APS has pushed out content for Twitter and YouTube. Great to see.
Edited by NumOnes - 04/15/2020 4:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
913 Posts
Posted 04/16/2020   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm encouraged that stamp collecting will be around for a long time to come.
Heck even vinyl records are coming back!

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
229 Posts
Posted 04/16/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danstamps54 I agree ... I myself am spinning a lot of records these days!

Page: of 19 Previous TopicReplies: 273 / Views: 32,837Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.65 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05