Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Plate Number Coil Collectors Out There?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 10,896Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 03/24/2015   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Walkman82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm curious as to how many PNC collectors are here. How many of you specialize in PNCs? What are your favorites (flags, transportations, flora & fauna, etc.)

I'm thinking of creating a website dedicated to this specialty and would like to know any comments or questions this community of collectors may have about it.

Thanks!
Scott
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7595 Posts
Posted 03/24/2015   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott. To answer your question, there are several PNC collectors on this forum. Some collect them as a sideline, Others like me collect nothing else. As a matter of fact I collect only the Transportation Series and have some 25 albums full of them!
You are aware of the Plate Number Coil Collectors Club ( PNC3 ) and their website, www.PNC3.org

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 03/24/2015   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter, Thanks for your quick response. It's good to see a fellow PNCer here and to know that you're dedicated to the specialty. I've collected PNCs since 1987 and only PNCs for the last 5 years or so. My collection consists of a PS5, PS3, a used single, and a FDC of every issue. I do know of PNC3 and their website and have been a member (off and on) in the past, but find that the website is too general and the club can be clique-ish.

The site I'm building will be similar to 1847USA in providing ALL of the known, relevant information for each and every issue. Most of the information and research I've gathered through the years will be applied to the website, some of it from outside sources (with permission) such as Esrati, Washburn, Nazar, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7595 Posts
Posted 03/24/2015   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott, I would love to help in this endeavor if I can. Stay in touch through this forum!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6745 Posts
Posted 03/24/2015   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collected PNCs for several years, but dropped out after the flag/porch series. I wasn't particularly fond of the design, and having to buy so many strips of a stamp I didn't enjoy sort of took the fun out of collecting PNCs. My collection is mothballed in a box somewhere.

But yes, please keep in touch as you develop the site! You might even get me and a few others back into the game.

Hopefully, the other "Scott" won't give you a hard time about using catalog numbers like they did to 1847usa.
Edited by khj - 03/24/2015 9:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2688 Posts
Posted 03/24/2015   9:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I collected PNCs for several years, but dropped out after the flag/porch series. I wasn't particularly fond of the design, and having to buy so many strips of a stamp I didn't enjoy sort of took the fun out of collecting PNCs.

While I am not inspired by the design, I specialize in the FoP. I like varieties, and it has tons with all the die cut varieties and constant plate varieties (and I have some nice EFO's too).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6745 Posts
Posted 03/24/2015   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, the die cut varieties were very interesting, and the printing was just a plate variety + EFO dream come true. I just wish I didn't have to look at the stamp design at the same time! The first full imperforate error pane I ever owned was an FoP pane, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. I guess the less than inspirational design inspired me to unload it with 2 weeks.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott, I recently dug my stamp album out of the closet and started mounting the Transportation coils that I started buying back in the early 80s. Found a large glassine envelope stuffed with Numbered Line pairs of the early issues, and PNC3 and PNC5 strips. I'd be happy to provide images of the strips I have to assist in the building of your site.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I began adding PNCs to my mint US National collection in 1981 and still collect thru current issues. The transportation series are arguably the finest looking PNC series.
Albert
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 03/28/2015   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MarginBlocks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been a PNC collector since the very beginning in 1981. I still have the original Scott Plate Number Coils album that accommodated strips of 3 instead of 5. I collect by PNC5, now.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 04/01/2015   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add munroe47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I began collecting PNC5 coil strips when line pairs were no longer printed. My US mint collection stops at the end of 1999, so I now have all but a few of the PNC5's up to that date. I use a White Ace format and have made special pages for the strips using Microsoft Word and the White Ace blank pages with their printed borders.

I especially like the appearance of nearly identical strips mounted one above the other on the same page; the flag/porch series is a good example, and it takes two pages as does the flag/skyline series and the eagle/shield series.

I do not try to acquire different plate numbers of the same strip; I am happy with one copy of each variety.

A source of strips that I recently found is Craig Selig at www.pnc3.com or craigselig@pnc3.com. He specializes in PNC's and booklets and is a very personable gentleman. I bought a strip from him on www.ebay.com/b/Stamps/260/">eBay, and he included a complete list of his stock when he shipped the strip. From that, I was able to fill nearly all of my blanks! All of the strips I bought directly from him were priced at or below Scott.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1035 Posts
Posted 04/01/2015   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Walkman 82,

I have used pnc3.com often and it seems very complete. I'm curious as to what your website will offer that isn't already available on pnc3.com?

Of course, I'm a troglodyte that collects used PNCs. You may be offering a level of detail I'm not aware of.

I used to collect mint PNC but IMO it got out of hand. I understand the reasoning and tradition of collecting coils in multiples although it isn't really necessary for PNCs. Three was OK but when the fad changed to strips of 5, I quit. It is the same reason I backed off plate block collecting when Huck press stamps required blocks of 10+. It gets unwieldy. What's next, strips of 7?

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 04/01/2015   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate everybody's comments! I'm glad to see that there is still some interest in PNCs. For the site I'm working on, I won't be using "Scott" numbers in order to avoid difficulties with Amos & friends. My goal is to create a site that will provide a single source of information related to each PNC issue that I have previously had to search for.

Examples:

1. How did the whole plate numbering system for coils begin?
2. The 4.9 Buckboard transportation coil has many documented varieties that were caused by different plate cracks (such as the "Buggy Whip"). How many are there? What are their names? Which plates do they appear on?
3. Why are the 29 Flag over Mt. Rushmore stamps printed on paper that has two different tagging types (mottled and Lenz)?
4. There is a 29 Flag over White House issue with a color variety (indigo rather than blue)...which plate number can be found with the indigo color error?
5. Which PNCs have PMCs (purple machine cancels)?
6. How valuable are first day covers with PNCs on them?

The answers to these questions are out there, but you need at least half a dozen or more publications to get all the answers. I have about 12-15 printed resources as well as the many newsletters from PNC3, Esrati, and others. I want to create a place on the Web that has ALL the answers. Much of the site has already been created, I am working on the last few items I want to include and will post here when it's ready.

About me...retired military (U.S. Air Force), professional software developer for 25+ years, PhD candidate (organizational management and information systems), and part-time college professor. I design my own PNC pages to accommodate my diverse collecting habits. Generally, I collect a used single, mint strip of 3, and a mint strip of 5, and all first day covers for every plate number coil issue. I also look for any EFOs (errors, freaks, and oddities) such as imperforate pair, color or tagging error pairs, die cut varieties, and plate cracks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7595 Posts
Posted 04/03/2015   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Walkman82, thank you for posting that last answer. I for one would welcome such a website and would be contributing to it.
I think I have several more or less unique pieces - some of which I have no idea what5 they are.
Also, it would be great to have a site where plate varieties are pictured. Several years back a gentleman in Houston ran a website. "PNCvarieties,com" but it does no longer exist
Good lick, and I hope to see more of this idea.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2688 Posts
Posted 04/04/2015   1:53 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good lick

Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 04/04/2015   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I knew what I know now when I haphazardly started collecting PNCs around 1981. I bought them as line pairs not knowing I should have bought PNCs in strips of 3 or more. For example, I purchased a #1903 9.3 cent Mail Wagon line pair. It was only about 2 or 3 years ago I found that I had purchased one of the 2 high HCV plate numbers back in 1981 for a total of 19 cents. I don't recall which of the 2 it is but I think it was plate #5. I also have a used (non PNC) #1900 5.2 cent Sleigh misperfed single. The perforations are almost perfectly centered on the design. I have lots of the transportation issues but the two I described may be the only two of all I have that are of any real monetary value.
Edited by quigngt - 04/05/2015 5:49 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 10,896Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05