Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Plate Number Coil Collectors Out There?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 10,895Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 04/05/2015   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kollectorkurt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am certainly not a specialized PNC collector. I do have a nice small collection of singles on commercial covers, plus a few on what I would consider "controlled mail." I save used singles when I find them and do keep an eye out for numbers I do not have. For my main collection, I prefer my MNH single with a plate number and do have a small collection of PS3/PS5s, but I don't ever see myself chasing after an elusive number. My philatelic "thrill of the hunt" lies with fancy cancels.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1035 Posts
Posted 04/05/2015   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Walkman82,

It looks like you are going to add some interesting stuff!

Good luck with your project! Keep us up to date here on your progress.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 04/11/2015   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add munroe47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While we are on the p# coil topic, I found out today that Scott has renumbered the varieties of the 2905 Auto Hood since they printed the 2011 Specialized.

In my 2011 Scott, 2905 (small date, 1.9mm) is available with p#'s S111 and S222, 2905a (large date, 2.1mm) with only S333, and 2905b with only S33 (yes, only two 3's), In addition, the 2905b description reads, "As a, brown omitted." I assume the "As a" makes it a large date too.

I have been told that in the 2015 Scott, 2905 (small date, 1.9mm) is available only with S111. 2905a (medium date, 2.0mm) only with S222, and 2905b (large date, 2.1mm) only with S333. The "brown omitted" note and the p#S33 are no longer part of the 2905b description, the date measurements have been amended to include a medium, 2.0mm size, and a pl # once attributed to one variety, has now been attributed to another.

Does anyone know what occurred to cause Scott to make these several changes to the varieties of a single coil? Is there a "brown omitted" variety?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1233 Posts
Posted 04/12/2015   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
munroe47: Sometimes it takes a good long while for Scott to recognize different minor varieties. There are quite a few recent examples that I could cite if you are interested. I believe this to be the case with the 1995 auto coil. They first recognized two date sizes ... over 15 years later they then finally recognize that instead there are three, breaking the small date into two sizes. In fact, there always were 3 different date sizes, they just weren't recognized by Scott as such until fairly recently. Even better, the date sizes occur only with specific plate numbers (S111, S222, S333). The reason for the slow recognition probably has to do with the minute differences in these date sizes. Without all three in hand, it is really quite difficult to determine what you have ... unless, of course, you have a PNC with the appropriate plate #.
My 2014 Scott lists 2905 (small date), 2905a (medium date) & 2905b (large date). Then it throws the "brown omitted" in as 2905c (also large date). Incidentally, the S33 plate number given for 2905c is almost certainly a typo ... the stamp would have the same plate number (S333) as 2905b. I'll have to check the 2015 Scott at my public library to see if 2905b is really gone. It doesn't show up in the intro as a "deleted number", but Scott does occasionally commit sins of omission on the "Additions, Deletions & Number Changes" page (I photocopy this page each year). While I don't think it occurs with a great deal of frequency, catalogue numbers are occasionally deleted. This may have happened with 2905c. I do know that 4188b (41-cent flag with tagging omitted) was deleted from the 2015 Scott. Why, I do not know. But I would definitely question whether a stamp printed on prephosphored paper could ever be "tagging omitted". I would guess that a closer examination of the stamp in question led them to believe that the original inclusion of the variety in the catalogue was in error.
philatomic: Good point on the missing digit for the color.
Edited by JLLebbert - 04/12/2015 3:29 pm
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 04/12/2015   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Incidentally, the S33 plate number given for 2905c is almost certainly a typo ... the stamp would have the same plate number (S333) as 2905b.

Not a typo. If it's a color omitted error, then the plate number digit for that color will not be present either.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
616 Posts
Posted 04/12/2015   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Though it could easily be S 33 or S3 3 as well...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2687 Posts
Posted 04/12/2015   10:33 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Though it could easily be S 33 or S3 3 as well...

Not for the brown omitted. The two you suggest would be for if one of the other colors was omitted (and Scott would still write it without the space)
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 04/13/2015   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add munroe47 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JLLebbert for your explanation. The person who told me about the numbering in the 2015 Scott for 2905, 2905a, 2905b, has since told me that the "brown omitted" variety is listed as 2905c.

I haven't bothered to upgrade to a newer Scott than 2011, because I don't collect anything beyond the end of 1999; I found I couldn't keep up with USPS! I hadn't noticed there was an "Additions, Deletions & Number Changes" page. I better see if I can find and photocopy those pages for the years since my 2011.

Thanks again.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/13/2015   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2013 Scott Specialized lists 2905 (small date), 2905a (medium date), 2905b (large date), and 2905c (brown omitted, P#S33). Therefore I will assume the change must have been made in the 2012 catalog, as there is no reference to these changes in the "Additions/Deletions" section of the 2013 catalog.
Edited by wt1 - 04/13/2015 11:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1233 Posts
Posted 04/13/2015   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
munroe47: Speaking of catalogue number changes, are you aware of the renumbering of the Liberty Series? This resulted in a longer than usual list on the 2015 "Additons, Deletions & Number Changes" page. Basically they reassigned the major number to the wet printing (it was issued first) and, where appropriate, a minor number (with lower case letter) to the dry printing. This also resulted in some number shuffling among the minor varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7595 Posts
Posted 02/05/2016   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Walkman82, I am bumping up this thread. I haven't heard anything since early last year and was hoping something would be happening by now!

Peter
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 02/10/2016   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PNC3.org - PNC3.com

There is a big difference.

I'm new to this community and happened upon the PNC topic.

PNC3.org is the official website of the Plate Number Coil Collectors Club. The website has over 1200 pages of information on plate number coils, including almost all of the plate number coils issued to date, except for the most recent ones.

PNC3.com is the website of dealer Craig Sellig. Craig has a great website and a extensive listing of plate number coils. Other than the fact that Craig lists pncs, there is no connection between the two.

I happen to be the Content Mistress for the PNC3.org website. I know that I'm missing the new 2016 Flag issues right now, and some details on a couple of the issues from last year. I intend to get caught up soon.

If anyone finds any errors or finds something that needs to be updated, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll fix the problem asap.

Thanks,
Jill Ambrose
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 02/10/2016   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522

Quote:
Walkman82, I am bumping up this thread. I haven't heard anything since early last year and was hoping something would be happening by now!

Peter, if you were to check his profile, the last time he was on the forum was May 13, 2015. He probably is no longer active.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 02/22/2016   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered a strip of the 5c Grapes from Stamp Fulfillment Services today in a strip of 500 using item # 781915
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 02/23/2016   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gierhead to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USPS.com site shows SKU #781904

Jill A used 781915 to order hers.

??
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 10,895Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05