Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Savings Bonds Envelopes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,369Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MJeres to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While going through my late mother's things, I found a stack of (apparently way past maturity) US Savings Bonds that were sent to me as a kid. The bonds will be cashed in, but is there any collectors market for the original envelopes/folios/sleeves that the bonds came in? I wouldn't expect them to be very valuable, but I have a number of different designs, and they are in very good condition, since they were sitting in a safety deposit box for decades. Does anybody collect tacky Bicentennial and 70's style graphic envelopes for savings bonds?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2637 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have any photos of the envelopes?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everything is collectible to someone.

As you say, it's probably not worth a great deal, but the different indicias, especially those referencing "Official Mail" are collectible. Just keep in mind that due to the sheer number of Savings Bonds that must have been mailed out back in the day, many of the varieties are probably quite common.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   8:33 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are active collectors of savings bonds (though in all probability cashing the bonds in is a better return than the secondary market would provide if they are 1970s vintage). The envelopes - presumably bank issued - have minimal monetary value but it's possible there would be a bid on eBay. Some people (like me) do collect bond collateral.
Valued Member
USA
29 Posts
Posted 03/25/2015   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dopie13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MJeres,
Yes a lot of the 80's and 90's covers with the embossed government "Official Mail" in blue and black inks have collector value. Most go for 15.00-30.00 eachon eBay. Scott catalog value is 45.00-90.00 each.

Hope this helps.
Dopie
2 Posts
Posted 03/26/2015   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MJeres to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The bonds are currently at the attorney's and winding their way through the estate-settlement process, since they were double-issued in both my name and my mother's, so I can't upload any images now. The folios I'm talking about are not "official mail" things. They're more like those money-holder greeting cards, only designed for the savings bonds. Whatever the exterior mailing-suitable envelopes were, they were thrown away decades ago.

I figured these would be in the "somebody collects just about everything" category. When I get them back, I'll pursue further. Thanks for the replies.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05