Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Samoa Express Stamps - State, Real? Opinions, Please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
189 Posts
Posted 04/11/2015   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add walkabout to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
According to what I've read online - if I have read it correctly, that is - the Two Pence has the earmarks of being a remainder but it's a perf 12 1/2. The Two Shilling has indications of being state 4, but if it is, would it be a remainder or reprint? It has perf 11 3/4.

The only one not in the collection is the Five Shilling so this would be beneficial to classifying the rest.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6718 Posts
Posted 04/11/2015   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both stamps are State 4, probably either remainder or reprint. Remainders are perf 11. Reprints are perf 11 or 12. It looks like the perforation on your two stamps are not the same? You'll have to measure.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
Posted 04/11/2015   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add walkabout to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
khj - Thank you very much. As I mentioned above, the 2s is 11.75 and the 2p is 12.50. The old Scotts I have (1972) says that the State 1, 2 and 3 - it doesn't mention the State 4 - are either perf 12 OR 12.50. That's something that has me going 'hmmmmm' about the stamps.

Oh, and I don't know how true it holds for all of them, but in going over the stamps more closely, I found that the back on the 1p has 'reprint' stamped on it in blue ink - also a perf 11.75. I can't tell if it is original to the issue or a later addition.

Again, thank you for your input.
Edited by walkabout - 04/11/2015 8:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 04/11/2015   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to try this link: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1576
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
Posted 04/12/2015   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add walkabout to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tonymacg - Thank you for the link. I had come across a couple that were a few years newer and had many of the same folks and stamps, with a number of links. Here are some with good info, too:

http://www.filatelia.fi/forgeries/s...ecklist.html

http://www.filatelia.fi/forgeries/p...fournier.jpg

http://www.filatelia.fi/forgeries/s....html#bottom

http://goscf.com/t/14569
Edited by walkabout - 04/12/2015 12:16 am
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
Posted 11/04/2019   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ananthveerappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about mine?....

something about these stamps don't look right...

I suspect a reprint..

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2261 Posts
Posted 11/05/2019   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just in case you didn't notice, this thread is over 4 years old, Tony hasn't been here since last Oct. Might be awhile until a response.
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
Posted 11/06/2019   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ananthveerappan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
my bad... yep... didn't want to create a new thread and so did a quick search and picked over the recent thread..

Didn't notice the time lapse !!!!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1787 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's okay. Some of us like threads to carry on like this.

https://www.filatelia.fi/forgeries/...express.html
Both look like forgery type 1; compare with sets of images at bottom. See the tiny dots in the SAMOA label band and the placement of the pearls relative to the letters M and O.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27155 Posts
Posted 11/07/2019   05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Didn't notice the time lapse !

No problem, Moderator Don, suggests we just type "Thread bumped"
and the last post date, to make members aware.

Long informative threads become "catalogues" of information unto themselves.
I also like threads carrying on.
Edited by rod222 - 11/07/2019 05:58 am
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
Posted 11/08/2019   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampwolf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I have a few of the Samoa Express stamps in my collection but don't go after them and only add them if I stumble across them in a collection. Somewhere along the line I pulled some literature off the interweb about determining genuine issues but got frustrate with it and abandoned the project. I assume all mine are reprints/forgeries and leave it up to my legacy to determine their authenticity. Cheer! Wolf-==-
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05