Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Lost Art Of The Postcard

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,572Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/16/2015   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
An interesting read that deltiologists may enjoy:

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...the-postcard
Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 04/16/2015   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With a link to a bit of history from 2002, to boot:

"The world's oldest picture postcard ... sold for a record sum at auction in London."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1862284.stm
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 04/17/2015   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use to send postcards but now postal rates in Canada make it prohibitively expensive.
85 cents local...$1.20 to the U.S. ...and $2.50!!...rest of the world....and add another dollar or less for the postcard itself.
Long gone are the days when mailing a postcard was cheaper than mailing a letter,
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 04/24/2015   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaffeinatedSquirrel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even though I know that postcards and mailings in general are declining, I feel like some are picking up the art of letter and postcard sending specifically because instant communication is so easy and intangible that it feels impersonal. I love getting and sending mail. Maybe it will come back as people realize what we've lost. I don't KNOW that, of course, and the realist in me says it won't, but hope says maybe.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 04/24/2015   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appropriate for this thread, just posted today (04/24/2015):

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link...news27s3.htm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,572Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05