Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

State Of Pennsylvania Lehigh Valley Railroad Company

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,762Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

1151 Posts
Posted 04/26/2015   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an interesting Stock Certificate for two shares of this company.

Dave
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 04/26/2015   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaffeinatedSquirrel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's from where I live! :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 04/26/2015   2:51 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting certificate. I hadn't seen it before, but according to the (wonderful) online catalog of railroad scripophily at www.coxrail.com, the company had every denomination from 1-9 shares printed as a separate certificate, and then in tens from 10-100. Very unusual. Something new to look for...
Valued Member
China
277 Posts
Posted 04/27/2015   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That sure is a horrible font at the top. Even though I know what it says, I still can't read it.
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 04/27/2015   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TomSwift, I totally agree, even tho I know like you do what it says. And I'm the owner of this stock certificate. Perhaps you can also tell, the certificate itself is in shop worn condition.

Dave
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that "shop wear" is from a stub that was removed. Typically, when the certificate was redeemed and cancelled the company would paste the stub back onto the left side. The glue was usually water soluable so dealers or collectors would soak them back off again. IMHO, they look better without the stub, even if it leaves a little staining.
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GregAlex, sorry, I had not described "Shop Worn", I assumed everybody knew what shop worn means.

Your mistake was compounded by my assuming!

The Stock Certificate in question has at least 6 creases, one or two thin spots, reverse is soiled, there are small tears, and water damage, i.e. shop worn!

Cheers

Dave
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
841 Posts
Posted 05/02/2015   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I assumed everybody knew what shop worn means.

If we are going to get technical about definitions, unless the defects resulted from being on display too long in a store, the certificate may be defective or damaged but it is not "shopworn."
Edited by rustyc - 05/02/2015 09:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 05/02/2015   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shop worn has always meant as long as I've been a stamp collector instead of listing all the faults, when there is a lot of them, just describe it as "shop worn"!

Dave
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5124 Posts
Posted 05/02/2015   6:39 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd never heard the expression before. While not mint or even excellent, I have seen many, many stock certificates in far worse condition.

The condition of the certificate itself is likely more critical to scripophilists (stock certificate collectors) than philatelists.
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 05/03/2015   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say about the meaning of "shop worn" is that where I started stamp collecting, all the dealers both small and some what large, the stamp shows I've attended where the dealer would sometimes describe a faulty item as shop worn (too many faults to mention). I've worked for dealers, I've lived in other countries, especially England, and shop worn is used there also to describe faulty stamp(s).

So perhaps and this is just my guess everybody who have never heard of this expression before (shop worn), or who says "If we are going to get technical about definitions . . .", we all started and experienced stamp collecting in different ways, during different times, and maybe different parts of the country and world.

Shop worn is not a technical definition, rather it is a term used to save listing all the faults on a stamp, document, instrument, etc. Perhaps shop worn is too difficult a term to be used to reflects faults, maybe it is better to say: This stock certificate is in the following conditions torn, thinned, water damage, creased, soiled, buyer be aware!

I think any reasonable person would rather just say shop worn!

Dave
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
Posted 10/21/2015   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice items, I just recently started collecting these items, not sure why but they are very nice and great history. I have been able to purchase common ones for $1 apiece.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 2,762Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05