Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tracking Down A Particular Card

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 04/28/2015   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add essayk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a trick or search procedure for tracking down the availability of a particular picture post card from about 1906?

What details about a card are searchable. Manufacturer and card number? Subject matter? I'm finding you can waste a lot of time by trying to guess.

How does one go about it?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2235 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Search for what it is that makes the card that you're searching for unique, is all I can offer.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are dedicated archives for a few of the publishers; are you lucky enough to be looking for a Tuck or Teich?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6244 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Essayk, have you tried Delcampe? They have a fantastic postcard section.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4071 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   11:29 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
essayk

At the risk of giving you information about which you're probably well aware, I find this site helpful for background information. Perhaps ikeyPikey writes it ...

http://www.metropostcard.com/publisherst.html

Geoff
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Essayk: you do know that all you have to do is post 'XYZ might as well not exist' and your dare will likely bear fruit, right?

GeoffHa: Alan did one hellacious job on that site, did he not?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4071 Posts
Posted 04/29/2015   5:57 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found the site by accident whilst Googling - it's brilliant.

Geoff
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 04/30/2015   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for the tips and the great link. This may be tougher than I thought, since all I have is a pic of the view side of the card with no logo for the publisher. So I don't know who produced it or when. It seems to have been offset printed, and I suspect it was hand tinted. Here is the card:

The caption reads, "Edward Steinemeyer, the oldest resident in Mercer County"

FWIW - The scene is in North Dakota not far from Stanton, ND some time in the first decade of the 20th century. The actual card for this pic is in a public museum and not available. I am looking into contacting the museum for a publisher attribution and/or a look at the reverse (doubt they would scan it).

But if that doesn't pan out, I'm really not sure how to proceed.

Edit. - A tad more information:

Publisher of Original R. J. Woods (Stanton, N.D.)

Place of Publication Stanton (N.D.)

Transcription "This is grand fathers home and part of his fally too try to find me on this card and the rest of them are his dorters and his brothe law too. Ralph Loy." - handwritten on back of postcard, no postmark. Addressed to Molter Loy, 3425 Oaklund Ave, Minneapolis, Minn .
"No. AA1101" - printed on back of postcard.

Notes: Title printed on front of postcard.
Photographer unknown.

Maybe a clue in the style of the ID number as noted above?
R.J. Woods sounds like a local distributor, or possibly the photographer, despite the museum notes. The quality of the card does not look like a local job as a "Real photo" might be.
Edited by essayk - 04/30/2015 11:35 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05