Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

R164 Bank Check

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,844Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

1151 Posts
Posted 05/05/2015   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I purchased a large lot of Revenue Stamps mostly the 1898 Series.

Mixed in the lot, there was a small stack of bank checks, but my bid wasn't based on these bank checks, only the loose Commerce Issue with CDS and readable cancels.

So, was checking the bank checks out this morning and found this one.

Cancelled on the date Lt. Col. Theodore Roosevelt's Famous Attack in Cuba. On 16 Jan 2001 he was awarded the Medal of Honor for the Battle of San Juan Hill, Santiago, Cuba. This was 82 years after he died.

In addition, this check and the R164 were both dated 1 July 1898, along with the rubber stamped banking cancel. First date these revenue stamps were required.

So, you just never know what you find in lots!

Cheers

Dave
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7379 Posts
Posted 05/06/2015   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First day usages are nice but not nearly as scarce as some people make them out to be. Checks like this are generally $35-$50 items depending on condition. The stamps were generally available a few days before they were necessary; there are covers known with R155 used illegally to pay postage in late June.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revcollector - 05/06/2015 12:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5128 Posts
Posted 05/06/2015   1:54 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't found a 1st day of issue document, although I have a few July 2 examples. I just haven't been willing to pay the $100-300 that 1st day usages seem to get listed for. I'll hold out for finding one...
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, I'd never pay even $35.00 for one of these. I can't even think how one could cost as much as $300.00, unless signed by someone important.

I've seen a lot of these dated on 1 July 1898, so suppose they are not at all scarce or even interesting, maybe not even worth keeping, maybe just soak it off.

I have a Proprietary RB27R hand cancelled 6-30-98, expect these are also in that group being not nearly as scarce as some people think they are, maybe I just toss into the box to go to the VA Hospital.

Cheers

Dave
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7379 Posts
Posted 06/07/2015   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are overestimating exactly how common these are on document a bit; I certainly would never soak one off . Also the pre July 1 cancels are not common at all, on or off document.
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 06/09/2015   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I call it as I see it!

Cheers

David (Stampmaster)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7379 Posts
Posted 06/10/2015   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Printed cancels on proprietaries with 7/1/98 are fairly common off the product but scarce on the product. R154 and R155 first days are reasonably common but still not nearly as common as you make them sound. All other values are much scarcer as first day uses.
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 06/14/2015   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revcollector, I'm not sure I understand your comment in reference to R154 and R155? I think you said R154 and R155 on document/instrument are reasonable common, but does this mean off document/instrument examples are not common? Did I get this wrong?

Would seem to me that off document/instrument examples of R154 and R155 would be more common than on document/instrument examples.

What is your thinking about R153, either on or off document/instruments?

Cheers

David (STAMPMASTER)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7379 Posts
Posted 06/14/2015   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Off document first day uses have to show the whole date, which does not always happen, but they are around.
R153 is a less common stamp to begin with, and first day uses do not show up often in my experience.
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 06/15/2015   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revcollector, you said first day uses have to show the whole date, of course, how would you know what the full date was, am I missing something here?

I agree with you on the R153.

Cheers

David (Stampmaster)
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 06/19/2015   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All

Forgot to mention in my original posting, that the name of the bank check in question was changed to National Howard Bank or National Howards Bank.

Just wanted everyone to note this change!

Cheers

David (Stampmaster)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,844Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05