Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875 Re-issue Of 1869 Locomotive 3c Blue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add petegraz8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello collectors I have come across a stamp that I need professional opions on.i was asked to go through a huge stamp collection and came across the above listed stamp. My question being is it as rare as I have read. From what I have read only 15 have been found. It comes out of a 100+ year old collection of more then 1000 stamps put together by a stamp collector long passed away. Thanks in advance. Picture posed below

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6718 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's most likely misidentified by the original collector (or maybe wishful thinking by the original collector).

It's almost impossible to tell from the quality of your picture. The normal 1869 issue has a small grill (typically 12x11 points for this issue) embossed into the paper. The 1875 reissue has no grill. If you see any grill points, then it is the 1869 issue. Even if you don't see any grill points, it may still not be the 1875 issue because the stamp is used (the grill points may have been pushed flat). If no grill points, the next step is to check the paper type.

If you don't see a grill, or are not sure what to look for, you need to post a link to some high-resolution SCANS (not camera pictures) of both the FRONT and BACK of the stamp (please crop out any extra background beyond the stamp teeth).

Either way, the stamp is in pretty bad shape. Don't expect to get close to catalog value for it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by khj - 05/07/2015 12:31 pm
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add petegraz8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your response. Since I have an untrained eye for this, here are scans. These are the best quality I can get with my scanner.

Even if it is not worth catalog value, it is still awesome to know if it is extremely rare and the condition you would rate it. Your expertise is appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your second scan is very good ... thank you!

This stamp is a 114 with grill. The grill is visible from the front. I have cropped the image to show the grid pattern showing through the stamp. Retail on a damaged copy is less than $1.

Brian

Brian Riley
APS 223349
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6718 Posts
Posted 05/07/2015   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for you input, Brian. I agree, definitely a grill there.

Maybe next time...
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/08/2015   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add petegraz8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I could see the grill you pointed out from the scan by putting a light on it. You guys are good.
Valued Member
Austria
7 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wipi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope the statement from khj is correct?
I trust him!
Nevertheless, on the website "Stampworld" there is an issue of a 3 cents locomotive "1869 without grill - more value than with grill"?
I post my 3 cents locomotive!
Can someone confirm whether this is 1869 or 1875? The grill is very visible.

"Grill" is somthing only american?
This is my onliest stamp I own with grill.

Edited by wipi - 08/20/2019 11:37 am
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wipi, your stamp has a grill, therefore it is from 1869.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
722 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   12:19 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes in the case of 1869 Pictorials the grilled stamps are sometimes less valuable than the ungrilled reprints. The 1861/1867 stamps are the other way around where the grilled stamps are more valuable. It's a matter of which ones are rare.
Valued Member
Austria
7 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   05:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wipi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for so fast help!
the rating of stampworld confused me!
I hope I can post the two screenshots of stampworld?

3 cent stamp locomotive with postmark - used 27.000 U $ ??

3 Cent Stamp Lokomotive stamped - used from 1869 with grill only 22, - U $?

Somehow I do not trust the stampworld online catalog completely!

Edited by wipi - 08/22/2019 05:11 am
Learn More...
7070 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   05:48 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You can use this link http://stampsmarter.com/1847usa/SSLookUpAll.html , then lookup for catalog number #114. The click on eBay 'sold' values link to view. Note; the eBay sold values are sorted highest first, scroll down to find a used stamp which matches the condition of yours.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
722 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   10:01 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reason the used reprint is shown as very valuable is because it is extremely rare. There are only 16 known copies. As discussed above, that's not what you have, but that should explain the crazy prices you are seeing. There are two used 125s for sale on eBay; however, they are both incorrectly identified. Neither is really a 125 - they are both 114s. It is ignorance and fraud. But that's another story.
2 Posts
Posted 08/29/2019   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Postalattic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi khj
I was hoping for your thoughts with this stamp. Here is a high res scan. Trying to find grill, how to check paper? Thanks for any help.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3382 Posts
Posted 08/29/2019   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You really do not have to look any further then the quality of the impression to see that this is not a 125.
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 08/30/2019   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Louise411 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Value? Rare? Has not someone said shame oh shame.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05