Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pennsylvania Dutch Sayings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 05/08/2015   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Three PPCs featuring Pennsylvania Dutch Sayings.

They don't do much for me, though I can at least understand the plump-wife-big-barn shtick.

Stealth giveaway/contest: if these cards belong in your collection, speak up, and their yours.

Extra credit if you post similar items that will be keeping these company.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/09/2015   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being Dutch I completely understand them. It's a funny set of stamps depicting how the Dutch might say things is all. Some are quite dated (but still used). Nice find.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/09/2015   08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also UP means up river weather the terrain is up or down..for instance.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 05/09/2015   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BettyAnn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pennsylvania Dutch isn't actually Dutch, it's a far flung dialect of German. Penn Dutch being a misunderstanding of the word Deutsch. That being said, I still speak in deitsch when I forget I'm not in PA anymore and once in a while the euphamisms sneak out and I get funny looks.

I've not found anything like this for my collection yet, tho. But these kinds of cards as well as the thin booklet syle Amish and Penn German cookbooks are very VERY common in my part of PA where I grew up. If I ever go back I'll have to pick a few up for some people if anyone's interested.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4530 Posts
Posted 05/09/2015   11:28 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh, yesss... good ole' Penstilvania Ducht speak. I spent the first 18 years of my life in Berks County, PA and can still pull off a good Pennsylvania Dutch accent if needed.

Some other PA Dutchisms:

"Outten the lights" (Turn off the lights.) also "Make out the lights."

"Throw me down the stairs my hat."

"The food is all." (There is no more food.)

"It mox mix." derived from the German "macht nichts" meaning "It doesn't matter."

Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 05/10/2015   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BettyAnn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha! I've not heard them in such a time. I still give dutch directions when people ask me - down the road a piece and maken left at where the silo used to be then righten round the train curve and over the crik.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05