Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Great Big Bonds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 3,604Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 05/20/2015   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just got a new large-format scanner and thought I'd give it a trial run by scanning a few of my larger bonds that I could previously only scan in pieces.

All of these bonds measure about 9" x 15". In the 19th century, Philadelphia and Providence, RI both issued some particularly nice municipal bonds, often with a large number of vignettes and portraits (some of these also appeared on banknotes and checks). The Philly water bond was issued in 1866, the 6% loan in 1869. The 1894 Providence bond also has a very attractive back, with elaborate lathework engravings. These were all printed by American Bank Note Co.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/20/2015   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice engraved bonds, although I was surprised to see the ones from Pennsylvania listed as "State of Pennsylvania" when most legal documents use the term "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 05/21/2015   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DenimDan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are great, Greg!

Do you have any examples of the vignettes or portraits on checks? I think I remember seeing a check or certificate of deposit with that William Penn portrait. And the gentleman with the sledgehammer looks like something I've seen on another document of some kind.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 05/27/2015   02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Among my own collection the only matches I could find was the wharf scene on a check and the anvil man on a stock certificate. But I may find others -- several more look quite familiar.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 07/13/2015   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up another "big" bond the other day. Although this is a typical size for bond -- about 13 x 9.5" -- what's more impressive is the denomination: half a million dollars! This is the highest printed value I've come across. Love the locomotive vignette, too!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
604 Posts
Posted 07/13/2015   5:53 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice engraved bonds, although I was surprised to see the ones from Pennsylvania listed as "State of Pennsylvania" when most legal documents use the term "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania".

This might be a plausible explanation:
http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...?oid=1335825
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 07/14/2015   08:47 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice bond - and it's been revalued and renumbered, which is unusual. It's listed in Terry Cox's online catalog of railroad scripophily (www.coxrail.com) but he doesn't have an image - you should send a high resolution scan to him for his site!

I recently picked up an $8 million bond - will have to scan that!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did actually report it to Terry and it's on the database now. You just happened to check before he uploaded the weekly batch of new listings:
http://www.coxrail.com/database/Fin...ATL-427-B-39

Yes, I'd really like to see that $8 million bond! I have some other high denominations -- maybe we can start a new thread on that topic.
Edited by GregAlex - 07/26/2015 03:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
Chile
1137 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jorgesurcl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful vignette!

"Repairing the tracks"

Engraved by HAROLD OSBORN (1893-1968) of American Bank Note Company
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 08/13/2015   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still hoping paperhistory will post his $8 million bond. <hint> In the meantime, here is the highest denomination bond I own. Chrysler Financial Corporation put out a lot of big bonds in the mid-'80s. This one was issued Feb. 9, 1982 for a little over $14 million. It features a wonderful vignette of two women flanking a Chrysler hood ornament, engraved by Security-Columbian Bank Note.

My cost? 15 bucks!

Edited by GregAlex - 08/13/2015 10:51 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 3,604Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05