Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Guess The Seller Didn't Get As Much As He Wanted............

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 6,348Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2055 Posts
Posted 05/30/2015   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also in 1998, I won a MNH 12/6d Bermuda keyplate for something like $40 or $50. It was a perf 14 (detectable because the perf 14's of the 12/6d are all comb perfed and the perf 13's all line perfed). All of the perf 14s have very high SG values MNH.

In those days there was no paypal- everything was done with a check in the mail or a credit card. And in those days, everyone could see everyone else's user name and everyone could email one another as eBay did not have an internal email system. As an aside, in those days you could leave positive feedback without ever having completed a transaction- anyone could leave anyone else feedback at will.

Before I could even write the check, the seller emailed me that he discovered the stamp had damage and he needed to cancel the transaction. I insisted that I wanted to see the stamp, would cover all shipping costs both ways, and would not leave him negative feedback regardless. Well- he absolutely refused to complete the transaction. Obviously, since everyone could see everyone else's screen name and establish contact, someone must have tipped him off that the stamp was worth 5 to 10 times the sale price on eBay. I looked for the stamp again but could never find it as a new eBay lot.

Despicable.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by shermae - 05/30/2015 3:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 05/30/2015   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've cancelled a paid sale because when I packed it I discovered it was not up to the standard I described. No problem on either side. On the other hand I seriously misjudged shipping one time and wrote to the buyer and advised him of the mistake and asked him to boost the shipping a bit or agree to cancel the sale. I got an extremely rude note from him threatening me with bad feedback and a complaint to eBay.......(this was awhile ago and I can't recall what I did. Wish I could remember!)
Pillar Of The Community
1435 Posts
Posted 05/31/2015   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canadastamp,

Having made thousands of purchases on eBay, I've probably experienced just about everything that can go wrong with a transaction, including some like you describe. If a seller realizes that what he's sending might not be what I'm expecting, and contacts me about, I've always been able to work something out, whether a cancellation, a partial refund, or whatever. In the situation I posted about above, the seller never contacted me at all. He just cancelled the sale, and a day later listed the same item for 50% more. I did email him about it. His response was that he failed to mention it didn't have the stamps (these books have stamps that go with them). So I asked him if the relisted item had stamps and he said no. And I double checked, and he has not changed his listing one bit. I think he was lying to me. I haven't decided yet whether to leave negative feedback. I cannot anyway until seven days after the transaction.

Basil
Pillar Of The Community
United States
681 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   12:09 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it seems the mystery is explained....................

Immediately after winning this lot, the seller informed me that he no longer had the stamps available and cancelled the sale.

Now today, this shows up on eBay from the same seller.....

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm............
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Columbian12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, so it looks like he sold you the lot for 200 bucks and then, before the lot was paid for, realized that he had made a mistake and included a potentially valuable stamp in the lot so he cancelled the sale. (Maybe he was tipped off by an ethical third party). He sent the R92A to PSE and it came back with a grade 90 certificate. While that was taking place you left him negative feedback. Now with certificate in hand he lists the stamp for sale for $1,695. Sounds fair to me. He made a mistake, realized the mistake, and cancelled the sale. He gave an overly simple explanation for the reason of the cancellation.

Maybe you feel that the fair solution is that you should have been allowed to profit from the seller's mistake? I think there are probably one or two sellers here who would disagree.

There's plenty of squawk here about eBay sellers taking advantage of buyers. "Forcing" a seller to eat a mistake like this would be a case of a buyer taking advantage of a seller, no?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He gave an overly simple explanation for the reason of the cancellation.

Uh... I would say lied.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm confused. Earlier in this thread it was stated that the seller abruptly cancelled the sale but gave no reason whatsoever for the cancellation. Maybe I'm missing something. I will say that in my opinion there's nothing wrong with trying to snag a hidden gem at a bargain price. Stamp collectors dream of doing this -- finding the special cover in the dollar box, recognizing the scarce variety that has been unnoticed by the dealer, etc. The ethics are fuzzier when the seller recognizes the mistake before money has changed hands.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
681 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   1:51 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In all fairness, I've been on the other end of such a mess.

I ended up buying a collection and after cherrypicking items for my collection I listed the rest on eBay. I had an R120 that was badly off-centered and not very attractive. I listed it. The bids started coming in, and once it started pushing $100 I thought -- what did I miss here??????

Come to find out, it was a scarce foreign transfer copy. It sold for decent money, but if I had known what it was at the time, I would have kept it.

The point I'm making is that I feel morally obligated that once I list an item and it's being bid on, I should follow through with the transaction as much as it pains me.

Just my opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
681 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   1:55 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh by the way, does anybody really feel bad that they snared a misidentified silk paper or a double transfer of some other such gem when going through a dealer's stockbook at a show?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had dealers ask what the heck I'm looking for searching through their stock of revenues. Some will have their silks identified already. I tell them when they ask, "silks, plate varieties and cancels." And of course better examples of other revs I already have. I've never had a dealer cancel any of the pending sales at the table. If he did, I would understand. I'd be a little perturbed, but hopefully I could swing a sweeter deal, maybe on something else, for my find.

The difference with eBay is you have entered into a contract to sell once the auction has run. At least that's the way I see it.
Learn More...
United States
10625 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   3:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Luckily few sellers recognize my name but imagine being a fellow like Eric Jackson, one of our revcollectors, or a guy like Bill Weiss. When they win a listing, the seller most likely goes back, takes a second look, and tries to figure out if he missed anything. I bet 'sale cancelled' happen to these notable folks more than the rest of us.

I agree with Southpaw; once a listing has closed I consider it a contract which should not be cancelled. If a stamp gets damaged, or the seller realizes there has been a error, the buyer ought to have some input into how it gets resolved. Simply cancelling the sale is a problem that eBay has yet to resolve. But many sellers already feel that most of the terms and conditions favor the buyer, changing this would anger them even more.
Don
Edited by 51studebaker - 07/28/2015 3:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It wouldn't be too hard for eBay to require earnest money from a seller. Completed sales that are pulled should lead to a financial penalty.
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's quite unfair to sellers who legitimately find a problem.

eBay is quite upfront about allowing sellers to cancel a transaction up to 30 days post-sale, even if the buyer has already paid. Buyers can cancel a transaction within 1 hour of purchase.

If I were the seller, I probably would have also chanced a negative for $1,500.
Learn More...
United States
10625 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   4:13 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jenny2U,
If it is a legitimate problem, then why not offer the buyer some options instead of just cancelling the sale without any input? Just pulling the plug without offering the buyer some input seems lame to me. I concur that eBay allows sellers a lot of latitude in cancelling a sale (yet sellers often feel the T&Cs are slanted towards buyers). But this opens the door for abuse and unethical practices; having a lot relisted after cancelling a sale is a sure sign of this.

Frankly at some point someone will sue eBay for these terms and conditions. The issue is that a seller doesn't see the real name of the winner until after the sale transaction and contract is in place. In other words, a seller might discriminate based upon the buyers name(s) and shipping information, this might be done on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Don
Edited by 51studebaker - 07/28/2015 4:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2479 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paradoxically, the seller chose to re-offer the stamp for an amount it will never sell at. Some business plan! But, one that is seen too often on eBay.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 6,348Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05