Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Life Before Youtube #1 The Cow Comes Down

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
NEWS FLASH: Stupid stunts have been with us for awhile.

Or is there some non-stupid-stunt explanation that I'm missing?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would have made more sense if it had been a thatched roof...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6408 Posts
Posted 06/02/2015   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is the guy was trying to beef up his roof!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3276 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking there was probably no movie theatre in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine in 1927. Therefore, on a Saturday afternoon you could pull up a few chairs and invite the friends and neighbors over to watch the goat climb up the roof of the old shed. Who-aa.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 06/03/2015 12:10 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
billsey: Sending an animal up to thin your thatched roof risks the animal (and roof) even more than sending one up there in the first place. Can't see it.

bookbndrbob: I went 'round'n'round about whether it was a goat or a calf. Certainly, goat makes more sense, but it looked more like a calf and, besides, there was this local band with a song with the refrain "we're gonna party 'til the cows come home", back in The Bay.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"we're gonna party 'til the cows come home",

" Break out the windows, kick down the doors, we're drinkin half gallons and yellin for more, We're gonna party till the cows come home!" Elvin Bishop Group, later became the Elvin Bishop Band.
I saw them live at a free concert at Sonoma State in Rohnert Park, Calif, when I first heard that song.
Edited by littleriverphil - 06/03/2015 10:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are lines 1, 2, and 4.

The third line was: "We're gonna party 'til the rooster crows".
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
692 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ignore!
Edited by Ringo - 06/03/2015 11:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah well, I may have been slightly under the influence at the time!

http://www.allmusic.com/album/party...mw0000744232

We're way off topic now!
Edited by littleriverphil - 06/03/2015 11:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
554 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
" Break out the windows, kick down the doors, we're drinkin half gallons and yellin for more, We're gonna party till the cows come home!"

The original song was written by Sticks McGhee (Brownie McGhee's brother), first recorded in New York in 1946, & is called "Drinkin' Wine, Spo-Dee-O-Dee". The line quoted originally went "Knocking down windows and tearin' out doors, Drinkin' half a gallons and callin' for more. Drinkin' wine spo-dee-o-dee, drinkin' wine, bop ba"

One of the early precursors of Rock-n-Roll, the song has been recorded by both Jerry Lee Lewis and Mike Bloomfield's Electric Flag.

Edited by YeaPolska - 06/03/2015 11:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Elvin was a member of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. Also played with with Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper on their album titled The Live Adventures of Mike.

Edited by littleriverphil - 06/03/2015 11:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Heard Elvin Bishop (and group) live at some large beer hall in 'downtown' Berkeley ... on Shattuck?

College roommate had the album (don't ask, kids) since high school. It was skippy, it was scratchy. Finally, one day, he puts down whatever he's smoking, jumps up & announces that he can't stand it anymore: he has *got* to throw that album away.

So I ask if he's really gonna toss it, can I have it, does he care what I do with it, does he *really* not care what I do with it, can I use it as a frisbee, can I drill holes in it, etc, etc ... yes, sure, absolutely, its mine to keep, he doesn't care.

So I wave for him to follow me, take it into the bathroom, liberally apply hand soap, rinse it, dry it, and hand it back.

Astonished that I would do such a thing. Reluctant to risk the new needle and micro-balanced arm ... again, kids, don't ask ... but I finally convince him to give it a spin and, of course, it plays just about like new.

Simple enough: fingerprints, oil, dust. Soap emulsifies the oil, releasing the dust, 'erasing' the skips & scratches.

Sadly, I can count on my fingers the number of times I've made somebody that ecstatically happy.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.(don't ask, kids).... new needle and micro-balanced arm ... again, kids, don't ask.......Simple enough: fingerprints, oil, dust. Soap emulsifies the oil, releasing the dust, 'erasing' the skips & scratches.

Sure glad I still have all my albums, and the pair of Pioneer PL-12D's I played them on. Although they sure ouweigh a cd. Long ago I lost count, but they take up almost seven feet of shelf space. I used the dick-washer micro pad and when I ran out of fluid, I used soap and water.
Amazing what memories your comment about "we're gonna party till the cows come home brought up! Nice card!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2880 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rileysan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My guess is the guy was trying to beef up his roof!

Brian Riley
APS 223349
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   2:32 pm  Show Profile Check adcaplan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add adcaplan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is the landing ramp for the cow that jumped over the moon.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 06/03/2015   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Must have been a twister or Noreaster that put the calf on the roof.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05