Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old It Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 3,166Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/14/2015   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Italy has been a tourist destination for a long, long time.

In fact, because of The Vatican, Rome might be the longest most continuously toured city on the planet.

Lately, the Little Leprechaun that doles-out the luck-of-the-lot has been especially kind.

So hang your Old IT Postcards PPCs out to view just like they were wet, clean laundry!

Via Madre Di Dio e Ponte Carignano = Mother-of-God Street & Carignano Bridge

Q/ What's with the 'via Cherbourg'? Were they recording where the next ship leaving Savona/Genoa would be headed?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1517 Posts
Posted 06/15/2015   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given the geography, by sea Cherbourg would have required threading Gibraltar and then "backtracking" around Spain and Portugal, while an overland route would be more directly "forward" toward the US. So this etiquette may be requesting a more direct route, probably overland to Cherbourg, thence across the channel to Portsmouth, and then by sea to New York and onward to Philly. Usually a "via" etiquette specifies a vessel, but since none is specified here, I infer it as an overland direction.

The message is charming. It sounds like the writer was stranded in Genoa for two days waiting on a ship, and perhaps that's why this image was chosen -- "this is what we have to deal with up here." And once on board, they would rapidly depart Lago Mediterranea, not even stopping in Gibraltar. Trying to make the best of it, they propose an excursion down the Amalfi coast--although a train and drive from Savona in one day sounds ambitious--after gorging on (exotic) strawberries. Nice life for 1908!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/15/2015   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Overland? Across the Alps? Ouch!

A coastal tramp steamer (I actually keyed 'stamp teamer') that hit port-after-port on the coastline seems more likely to me than some torturous (and vastly slower) overland route. Note that s/he mentions that the boat will not stop at Gibraltor, which would be on such an all-coast-all-the-time route.

The trans-Atlantic crossing would begin at Cherbourg.

Too bad there are no other markings to indicate the route of travel, arrival in the USA, et al.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1517 Posts
Posted 06/15/2015   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On reflection I agree, except I think that the boat that's not stopping at Gibraltar is the one she will travel on, and that's currently in Naples, whereas the postcard is intended to go on some other vessel to reach the US.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 06/15/2015   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeypikey - a mistaken impression of the importance of Rome and its Vatican City. You've been reading too much tourist (or religious) literature! *]
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/15/2015   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
cj: Not my original thought. In http://goscf.com/t/37126#332952 Hieronymus points out:

Quote:
... In 1500 Basel was one of the leading cities of Europe, given its position on the upper Rhine when rivers were the highways. From Basel down the river to the North Sea and on to England was a hop, skip, and jump compared to traveling overland a fraction of that distance ...

Applying that Hieronymous Relativity principle to our case, Savona IT to Cherbourg FR by coastal tramp steamer was an LED (Land Equivalent Distance) (yes, I just made that up) of ... What? One hundred miles?

Q/ So the 'via Cherbourg' meant me, and not my postcard?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/16/2015   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a pretty street view of Firenze (Florence) IT, which demonstrates the advantage(s) that a pretty drawing or painting can have over a photograph (see Genova, above).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orsanmichele

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chies...Orsanmichele

Bonus: check out the size & clarity of the sender's handwriting!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/19/2015   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On reflection, I suppose it is surprising that more tourists did not list more complaints on more postcards.

Il palazzo dell'Arte della Lana visto da via Calimala = the Wool Guild Hall in Firenze (Florence) IT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arte_della_Lana

The same building, but from down the block:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._lana_01.JPG

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/21/2015   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry; I forget that not everyone can easily read cursive English, even when it is legible.

"Florence Oct 10, 1909
I wish you could see
everything I'm seeing.
Do these pavements
look narrow? They are
so much so that
two people can't walk
abreast on them, we
have to walk right in
the middle of the
street & the wagons
& horses try their best
to run over you."

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 06/28/2015   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The card it titled "Cogne - Laghetto del Lauson - Stambecchi"

Cogne = town in IT Aosta Valley

Laghetti del Lauson (2,656 m) (mountain)

Stambecchi = Alpine Ibex

Channeling my Inner Target Shooter, my first thought was that these were steel target silhouettes.

Q/ Live animals at their favorite watering hole? Or, drawn on?

Either way, the reflections of the animals, mountains & ice are superb.

Q/ R you confident that you can work-out the date?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/07/2015   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The east side of the Monreale Cathedral in Palermo, Sicily

http://www.tripadvisor.it/Attractio..._Sicily.html ... reviewed

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

So much for Teutonic precision: the caption has a spelling error :)

Morreale (the correct name is Monreale) - Duomo (cathedral) - Lato Orientale (east side)

The imprint is from a publisher in Lipsia (Leipzig)

And the instructions are a gift!

Sul lato anteriore della presente si scrive soltanto l'indirizzo => On the front side of this writing only the address.

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/30/2015   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just happy to find a postcard with fishing nets, period, to add to that thread.

Turns-out that view from those steps has appeared in postcards, paintings, postcards of paintings ...

... http://www.galik.com/stanleygalik1922/photos/ ... even in a father's very nice ~WW2 postcard collection.

You can search Google Images for 'Marechiaro Napoli Italy' and marvel at the yield.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marechiaro_(Napoli) ... Yes, Virginia, there is a back-story for the window.

Meanwhile, the killer reads 'XXV FIERA MILANO / 14-29 GIUGNO 19__'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiera_Milano ... puts the first fair in 1923.

The coming of the 25th fair in 1948 works okay with the 1947 postmark, but I wish I could be certain of the day/month this collotype hit the mail.

Q/ Would the 'NAPOLI FERROVIA (railroad)' postmark be for the station or the train?

Q/ Whose chains are getting broken on that stamp?

Not bad for a Bargain Box Orphan.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Here is a painting of the same scene:

And a painting on a postcard of the same scene:

And an older photo postcard of the same scene:

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 3,166Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05