Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Longest Stone Masonry Arch Railroad Viaduct In The World

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3882 Posts
Posted 06/22/2015   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockville_Bridge

The Rockville Bridge, at the time of its completion in 1902, was, and remains, the longest stone masonry arch railroad viaduct in the world.[1] Constructed between April 1900 and March 1902 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, it has forty-eight 70-foot spans, for a total length of 3,820 feet (1,164 m).

I have so got to learn more about postcard printing techniques; this one has got the fine granularity of a real photo, but is clearly printed on plain paper and is not (to my best estimation) some sort of collotype or rotogravure.

Complicating matters, I'm pretty sure that this postcard was printed decades before it was posted; sadly, I can find no information on the publisher.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3882 Posts
Posted 06/23/2015   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's see: divided back, good quality image, red ink title, coal-fired engine ... I'm guessing the card was printed 1907-1914 ... 'guessing', since I can't make-out the date in the cds.

I would think that the cds was applied at a post office branch on Maclay Street ... I don't see one there, now, but there is a branch at 2347 N 7TH ST (17110), just eight blocks away.

Meanwhile, on the card, I found a steam engine, then a coal tender, then a ....

Q/ What's that shpritz coming out of the top of the first railway car?

Cooking? I would think that the dining car would be at the end of the train, not in the smokey spot behind the engine.

And the lack of dispersion makes the plume look more like an artist's enhancement than something blowing in the wind.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 06/23/2015   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And the lack of dispersion makes the plume look more like an artist's enhancement than something blowing in the wind

Maybe the train isn't moving. Stopped to look at the longest stone masonry arch railroad viaduct! Smoke fron the engine is going straight up as well.
Pillar Of The Community
2301 Posts
Posted 06/23/2015   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why guess? The year date is 1911, outside the dial at the back of Franklin's head. The wording at the bottom of the CDS is Maclay Sta, which may or may not be on Maclay Street.
Edited by John Becker - 06/23/2015 4:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1315 Posts
Posted 06/23/2015   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The shpritz is likely an artist's fanciful addition. The first car is a "combine," or combined baggage car/coach. The shpritz is coming from a vent in the baggage compartment. Possibly there was a coal boiler there to provide steam heat for the train, but not likely. The train does appear to be stopped, as there appears to be a figure standing in the baggage door looking trackside.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3882 Posts
Posted 06/23/2015   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, Mr Becker, there the 1911 is, outside of the circle. Cheers,
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackhorseson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone seen any of the stone viaduct train bridge from Bellaire, Ohio? I'd like to to find a couple of those.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Pennsylvania Limited postcard led me to find this interior photograph of the dining car from back in the day -- a real throwback to another generation:

Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackhorseson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice looking card. Amazing picture on it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
821 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously, the first car is the smoking lounge.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3882 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, dear; I forgot to post the last of the trilogy.

The Curt Teich dating guide puts the serial number of the card at 1908, which makes it a very early white-bordered card.

Q/ Anybody wanna take a stab at that logo?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 09/24/2015   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cant really see the logo - but I'll have a guess at NYC or NYC & HR?

Rockville Bridge was over the Suquehanna river

Im down under so its all guesswork
Edited by Bas S Warwick - 09/24/2015 6:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 09/24/2015   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a photo I found of NYC & HR

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3882 Posts
Posted 09/24/2015   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
... Sorry for being vague: I was referring to the postcard publisher's logo.
Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 09/24/2015   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh....thats the easy bit

J.B.H.

J.B. Hoffman

N Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3882 Posts
Posted 09/24/2015   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, Bas !

http://www.metropostcard.com/publishersh2.html ... I have asked the MPC to update their listing for 'J. P. Hoffman"

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05