Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Best Album For US Revenues, Other Bob?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 5,170Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/04/2015   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think the old US Revenues are beautiful engravings!

This year I have been fortunate to pick up several lots of US revenues and other BOB. Being new to revenues, I wonder if any publisher produces (or produced) a hingeless album for these US stamps? I currently have an old Scott Specialty 2-post album with many hinged issues on the revenue pages. BUt I don't have pages for all the Documentary, Wine, Motor Vehicles, etc. I have accumulated.

I have several groups of BOB, including many revenue, plus some documentary, wine, spirits, proprietary, telegraph, and motor vehicle. Most of these stamps are either hinged on the old Scott pages or loose.

The rest of my US collection is in hingeless US albums with top-loading mounts (which I prefer). My US hingeless albums are Scott Platinum and Mystic American Heirloom Collection.

Is Scott Specialized (standard pages used w/hinges) the most comprehensive album for US BOB?

Does anyone offer a hingeless album for US Revenues?

Thanks for any guidance!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 07/04/2015   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just went through a similar decision after getting a large lot of revenues recently. I have the Palo albums for the US through 1940 and considered their hingeless albums for the revenues, but the price was simply too high at this point in time for me. I ended up printing out the Steiner pages for a rather comprehensive album for revenues. Combined with Lighthouse Vario-G binders, they look great, although not as good as the Palo hingeless albums would have looked ;-(

Good Luck!
Paul
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5152 Posts
Posted 07/04/2015   6:33 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Palo albums are going to be the most comprehensive currently-produced hingeless albums. Even though they are marketed as having color-printed pages, you can request black & white pages at the same cost (color pages are annoying to use, because it's difficult to tell at a glance which spots are actually filled).

The sets that Palo has for U.S. revenues:

UNITED STATES USA - PRIVATE DIE PROPRIETARY, 1862-1900
108 pages. $ 334.00

UNITED STATES USA - DOCUMENTARY REVENUE, 1862-1963
103 pages. $ 319.00

UNITED STATES USA - FUTURE DELIVERY, 1918-1934
5 pages. $ 25.00

UNITED STATES USA - PROPRIETARY REVENUE, 1871-1919
11 pages. $ 43.00

UNITED STATES USA - STOCK TRANSFER REVENUE, 1918-1952
44 pages. $ 142.00

UNITED STATES USA - WINE REVENUE, 1914-1954
25 pages. $ 85.00

UNITED STATES USA - MISC. REVENUES, 1887-1995.
Playing Cards, Silver Tax, Cigarette Tube, Potato Tax, Tobacco Sale, Marihuana, Consular Service Fee, Customs Fee, Motor Vehicle Use, Boating, Firearms Transfer
42 pages. $ 136.00

Interestingly, I don't see a listing for Beer Stamps.

http://www.paloalbums.com/index.php...mium_country
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/04/2015 6:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/05/2015   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, thanks for the input. I have heard such terrific testimonials regarding Steiner pages. It's great that those options are reasonably priced.

RevCollector, many thanks for your Palo data. While I looked at the Palo US Volume 1 album I had no idea the company markets such a diverse selection of BOB products.

I turned serious about collecting US in 2011. So I may lavish myself with the more expensive album choice. Compared to collectors who have spent decades filling a dozen or dozens of albums, I have a very concentrated US collection. But I am sold on hingeless mounts which I hadn't heard of when I first collected back in the 1960's. I plan to retire from my corporate gig come October, so my stamp collection will benefit from increased time and resources.

I'll look at both the Steiner pages (to appreciate that collection), and the Palo US albums. Thanks to you both! Happy Independence Day!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5532 Posts
Posted 07/05/2015   2:32 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that Steiner or similar pages from the web enable you to select your preferred type and weight of paper. You can then add your own mounts, rather than paying a publisher to do it for you!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5152 Posts
Posted 07/05/2015   4:37 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
... which is a double-edged sword. If you enjoy spending hours sizing and cutting mounts, then by all means, go for it. Not I.

Mis-gauge the amount of moisture that you put on the mounts and you end up with wavy/buckled paper. Not a good look.

Also, most people don't have printers that can print oversized pages, so that means smallish 8.5x11 pages.

At the end of the day, unless you are creating custom page layouts, buying hingeless pages outright is likely the better bet.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5532 Posts
Posted 07/05/2015   5:49 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My mount-cutting is probably more slapdash than yours! I use a dab of glue, rather than moisture, however. My big problem with prepared hingeless albums is the alienation of the collector - all you're doing is putting a piece of paper into an efficient receptacle made by someone else. No more personal engagement than putting the shopping in the fridge. It's to stamp collecting what the Ford production line was to the artisan, which is why my ideal, not always lived up to, is to create the pages with old-fashioned pen, ink and ruler. Of course, lots of people liked Model Ts!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 07/06/2015   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only have two hingeless album based collections, my US in a Scott Platinum and my Norway in a Schaubek. I just bought a couple of packets of blank pages for the Norway, I expect I'll be able to find plenty of covers and such to add to the already rather specialized collection. For my US I've added a couple of mounts to help deal with the type I vs. type II 3c 1851 issues and expect to do something similar for the 1857 3c, since there are now more stamps listed in the catalog than the album pages have spaces for... but I haven't found a good source for blank pages and don't want to have them made for me, I'd have to make too many for it to be cost effective.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1606 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know what Scott (for the National) addon has the US telegraph stamps? Those are the only stamps I really have with no album spaces for them
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike33, I am not familiar with the Scott National sets, but I notice that the Telegraphs (1T1 to 17T3) don't appear to be included in the Palo US albums. If you don't mind mixing albums, Stamp Paraphernalia prints a set for BOB US that does include telegraphs: http://www.stampparaphernalia.com/u...um_pages.htm He offers both color or black & white pages. Pages are 8.5" X 11" and designed to slip into clear page protector pockets for 3-ring binders.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1606 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dcaraz. I actually have the Steiner pages and a few pages I sliced out of an old Junior International (I think) a while ago. I may scan, repair and reprint those on some blank Scott paper.

I was just hoping their were some "official" modern pages that matched the rest of my set.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wbrob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dcaraz - Look into Scott Advantage stockpages. They come in I believe two to eight pockets and are a great substitute for using mounts.
No illustrations or catalog numbers of course but you can arrange your revenues in any way you like; have your Specialized at hand for a guide if you want to allow places for everything.
I have used them for years for all my US stamps, both mint and used, pairs, blocks, etc etc., and I won't return to hinges or mounts on printed pages.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/17/2015   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks wbrob. Your preference is further proof that collectors choose many many different approaches to organizing their stamp collections. Personally, I'd like to use a "Wanted" ad to solicit my purchase of a set of used Palo hingeless US Revenue albums. But I am unaware of an online space for "Stamps Wanted" requests. I buy and sell on eBay, but the stamp auction websites depend on sellers postings.

New Palo Premium Hingeless albums cost > $1200 for 7 lots covering US BOB.
And I rarely see any used US Palo albums, so I may end up affixing my own mounts on album pages from Stamp Paraphernalia or Scott.
United States
1 Posts
Posted 03/05/2016   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uncleAl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Over 40 years ago when I collected stamps, my Dad started me out when he started a collection of Cuban stamps (he served their during the WWII). He bought somewhere stencil pages for different sized stamps and it worked very well to set the collection. I have not seen such a set of stencil pages since then but maybe someone has then stashed away in a File drawer in their brick and mortar store. Just a thought
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
Posted 03/18/2016   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mystic offers a supplement for BOB stamps, and it says it handles revenue stamps. Is this a good option? Is it complete in regard to revenues, or other BOB's? I have their American Heirloom album now, and I love it. They say it's 254 pages, so I have to believe it's pretty complete, yes?
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 03/18/2016   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DaveG28, this looks like more recent BOB sets from Mystic.
About 18 months ago I purchased the then available American Heirloom Hingeless Back-of-the- Book album but it does not include pages for Revenues.

The newer Mystic BOB Volume 1 & Volume 2 does list Revenue.
Depending on how complete you intend your Revenue collection to be, the Mystic sets may provide what you need.
However, Mystic may only cover Documentary, Proprietary, Future Delivery & Stock Transfer. Mystic may not include Cordials & Wines, Playing Cards, etc. So you might want to verify with Mystic exactly how detailed the Revenue section is in their album.

When I finally decided against the high cost of the Palo BOB sets, I purchased the Scott National Album Revenue Pages Parts I & II. Taken together, these 2 sets are massive and I believe cover most of the US Revenue spectrum. My dealer additionally suggested two much smaller sets that Scott does not include: the US Telegraph Stamps set by Sherwood Springer and the Aldrich US Revenue set for Private Die, Match & Medicine.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 5,170Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05