Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Im Postcards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,920Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 07/14/2015   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 'Douglas Parade' was not an easy google, but I found one in Williamstown, Victoria, AU.

However, Google Maps shows that 'Douglas Parade' is one-to-three blocks inland from the shore.

Let's assume that the publisher's title on the card was correct.

One possibility is that the name of the nearby street was, at one time, applied to the larger shore line district.

But I prefer to conjure up the Hypothetical Historic Land Fill Project to explain away those three blocks.

Q/ Can anyone point me to a better candidate for the 'Douglas Parade' in the image?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

edited to adjust topic title
Send note to Staff
Edited by ikeyPikey - 07/15/2015 11:41 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
651 Posts
Posted 07/14/2015   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In trying to compare the postcard shoreline with any part of a google map of Williamstown, Victoria, AU, I don't see any resemblance, and when looking that the buildings on Douglas Parade, they don't appear to match the postcard either.

Douglas Parade does approach the waters edge in Spotswood (about 420 Douglas Parade), but these days that appears to be oil refinery area. Maybe they tore down those old buildings and made a refinery out of the place.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 07/14/2015   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say most definitely NOT Williamstown, Melbourne. Isle of Man, perhaps?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   01:23 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jackpot, Tony.

Brings back dim memories of a couple of holidays in the IoM in the 60s. The big excitement was (and still is, I think) the TT racing for motor bikes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just found this on the web. They give the location as the Isle of Man.

Without the tinting this time.
Edited by John Freibergs - 07/15/2015 08:15 am
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AU is just about as far as you can mis-place an IM postcard and still be on the same planet.

Q/ Is there some sort of Philatelic Coriolis Effect to which I have fallen un-witting victim?

Q/ Or does the word 'un-witting' suffice?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finding something you didn't expect is all part of the fun of stamp collecting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get a kick out of postcards of that period. You get the same exact view by different publishers. And then you get them untinted and tinted in various ways. And then people nowadays comment about what they can do with Photoshop when they were doing that 100 hundred years ago already.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
566 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kehess to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What does IM stand for?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   7:25 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isle of Man (IoM). IM is ikeyPikey's neologism. As a boy whose last Physics mark in grammar school was 12%, I'm also grateful for learning of the Coriolis Effect forty-odd years on. At this rate, SCF will turn me into a Renaissance man.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 07/15/2015   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... IM is ikeyPikey's neologism ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   04:24 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mea culpa - but, you see, my education goes on.

Geoff
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... SCF will turn me into a Renaissance man ...

We're working on it, Geoff, we're working on it.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5836 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   2:32 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can feel the force. Looking forward to painting the Mona Lisa, instead of the bathroom radiator, this evening, and writing The Prince, instead of posts here, tomorrow.
Pillar Of The Community
3815 Posts
Posted 07/16/2015   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too had no idea what "IM" stood for. Using the 2-letter codes (especially in the titles) also makes it harder to locate past threads. I know it makes my eBay searches harder when sellers use only the 2-letter state names so that "never hinged" and "New Hampshire" both come up when I search for NH. It is far more useful to use the full term first, then use the abbreviation afterwards. Please.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,920Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05