Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Revenues Picked Up At A Stamp Show This Weekend

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,819  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 07/19/2015   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rustyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are a few of the first issues that I picked up this weekend at Minnesota Stamp Expo. I was fairly pleased to find anything, since there were no real revenue dealers at the show, and 2 dealers who can usually be counted on to have at least some revenues were no-shows because of transportation and health issues.

An R45a pair with manuscript cancels and an "S. Crooks" handstamped cancel that I haven't seen before:

William C. Smock was the County Clerk of Marion County, Indiana:

A decently-centered R18c pair:

Charles E. Loew was a Tammany Hall politician who held the position, among others, of New York County Clerk:

Hastings & Kinsley was an insurance agency in East Cambridge and Boston:

A nice Simon de Visser cancel:

An R5b with an unclear Fort Stanwix Bank cancel but a legible November 1862 date:

A nicely-centered R24c block of 6:

And an R84c with a partial margin imprint:

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 07/19/2015   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All very pretty gems and likely did not cost an arm and leg? If I remember correctly, the hand stamped cancellations are much more desirable than manuscript cancels.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/19/2015   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TexasGunny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. Love the Hastings & Kinsley cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 07/19/2015   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that S Crooks pair or another just like it was in a lot I cataloged about 6 months ago that was later part of a large lot at auction.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 07/19/2015   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revcollector, if this might refresh your recollection, I meant to mention that the S. Crooks pair has a repaired punch cancellation, which you can see beginning at the bottom of the second "O" of "CROOKS." Perhaps you already noticed it. I'm not sure if the repair enhances or detracts from the value of the item or whether it has no effect either way. The tiny circle appears to be held in place by a hinge on the reverse, suggesting that it could be "unrepaired."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 07/19/2015   6:57 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the Hastings & Kinsley cancel!

I've seen examples of that S. CROOKS boxed cancel on occasion. Still not sure who it was.

Here are two from my collection:

Edited by revenuecollector - 07/19/2015 6:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 07/19/2015   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I saw it, which is why I think it's the same pair.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 07/19/2015   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was at the show on Saturday also and had a nice time (smart enough to avoid the food). Bought a few things of interest (covers)
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 07/21/2015   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You picked up some beauties! Great ornate designs of the time; and special cancellations.
I'm just starting to move my revenues into an organized collection so I understand what I have
from a number of purchases. Glad my new Scott Revenue sets arrived. Now I need to figure what mounts I'll need.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,819  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05