Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Deal With Bulky Documents?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,474Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 07/22/2015   07:58 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've always been in the purist "do not cut/trim/remove" camp when it comes to covers and documents, wanting to leave things intact from a historical perspective.

However, I've obtained some 20th century documents that really make this difficult:

They are 10-20 page 20th century documents (powers of attorney) from British insurance companies (Assurance Co. of London, Lloyds of London) where only 1-2 pages buried in the interior are of any interest philatelically (usually one page with a British revenue either imprinted or affixed and then a page with a U.S. revenue). The position of the pages of interest and the bulkiness of the document as a whole make it impossible to display or properly image the "good pages".

What do you do?

Preserve the "integrity" of the document as a whole, or remove the relevant pages so as to be able to better show or utilize them?

How do exhibitors handle this?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6108 Posts
Posted 07/22/2015   2:37 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my dim and distant days at university, one of my lecturers recounted her distress, while doing some tesearch at the Bank of England, at seeing piles of documents being wheeled past her, on their way to destruction. But the fact is that most paper deserves just that fate.

The trivia of the past can be enormously informative - eg ancient Greek or Roman material found at Egyptian dumping grounds. But I think there's enough Victorian ephemera around for you to cut - keeping a contextual cover-sheet and the interesting internal bits - and rest easy.

Geoff
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
526 Posts
Posted 07/22/2015   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hieronymus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Go the other way. Keep the document intact and store in an appropriate archival box etc. next to your albums, after having made color scans of the page(s) with the stamps on them plus the cover and last page. Put the scans in your album (assuming you aren't a stockbooker) with your other revenue stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6732 Posts
Posted 07/22/2015   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Storing bulky documents is problematic if you don't have a lot of space. I would NEVER cut up revenue documents. They should be stored in archival (acid free) boxes with a desiccant such as silica gel or rice. When you "savage" a cover or document for the stamp, you are destroying all of the accompanying documentation on usage for all time.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6108 Posts
Posted 07/22/2015   7:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the document is relatively small, I see that Lighthouse does a four-ring "Big Sheet" for its Optima binders. Space for insert is 7 1/4" x 9 5/8" x 7/16". Unsurprisingly, they aren't cheap - 6.75 according to my hard copy catalogue - but they look solid. I don't think the Lighthouse document albums would suffice.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05