Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Wine Stamps Need Good Home

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 2,355Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 07/23/2015   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jdgoldstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I inherited these 1941 series wine stamps from my grandfather who was a wholesale liquor distributor executive starting shortly after prohibition. I have seen examples of smaller denominations on line, but only rare larger ones, and none for $3000; quite a sum in those days, must have been a large shipment! They are used with perforations and are rigid and somewhat fragile. As we are downsizing and moving cross-country, they need a good home. I would appreciate any advice about their worth and how to best find a buyer. Thank you very much.

JDG

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1611 Posts
Posted 07/23/2015   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately the condition isn't very good. The $3000 stamp if used (can't really tell if that's just some funk on it) catalogs (2014) for $225 in good condition and the $200 catalogs for $8.75 due to the perforated initials. The $3000 doesn't specify perfin price but would also lower it. Due to that and condition, you'd be lucky to get 10% of the catalog value and probably $20 for the lot.

Shame the condition wasn't better but pretty cool nonetheless
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/23/2015   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately the stamps shown are in very poor condition, with tears, missing corners, stains, etc., which all diminish its catalog value substantially. Even if the stamps were in pristine condition, you would only realize a small percentage of catalog value on the secondary market.

Having said that, the first four examples shown with the $7.20 denomination are Scott Catalog No. RE160 and have a used catalog value of only 50 cents (if they were in good condition, which yours are not). The $200 denomination is Scott Catalog No. RE165 and with perforated initials the value is $8.75; and the $3000 denomination is Scott Catalog No. RE171 and has a used catalog value of $225. Again, when referring to any kind of stamps, condition is everything and in your case the condition would have to be much better to realize anything near those values.

You also need to consider that Revenue Stamps such as in these Wine stamp examples have a limited interest to specialty collectors of these sort of items, who most often will want the best possible specimen for their collection.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 07/23/2015   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $3000 wine stamp was used on tank cars, and while the condition is far from optimal it is not as bad as a postage stamp would be in such condition. And used examples are not so common. It would probably retail in the $60-$75 range, and one or two dealers might even try to get $100 for it. I don't know if they would get it, but they might try.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 07/23/2015   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jdgoldstein to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting comment about use on tank cars. I remember as a kid visiting his office, which had a railway siding. big vats, and a bottling plant.

If good condition examples were only worth fifty cents and interest was unlikely, I'd probably just discard them, but that doesn't seem to be the case, even considering their condition, at least for the $3000 stamp. Given the estimate of $60-75 retail, would it be reasonable to ask $40 for the lot? And what would be be best way to find someone interested? I've never sold on E-Bay. While they don't take up much room, I'd rather not have to include them in our move. Thanks again.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
Posted 08/02/2015   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcaraz1949 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you'll get much interest if you set a $40 price. More likely to get a sale via auction with bidding starting at maybe $4.99 with free shipping (First Call Postage). I suggest you scan the lot with a decent scanner so stamps are sharp, open an account on eBay, select "Selling" and upload your scans to eBay using the easy online guide. List ad under "Stamps > US > Back of Book" and write a nice description. Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 08/14/2015   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampsInWV3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 2,355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05