Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Using USPS Presorted Stamps As Postage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 15,687Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
784 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add acanalizo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does USPS allow one(without a permit) to use on a single envelope for mailing, a presorted stamp plus adding the additional amount required of regular stamps to makeup difference so that the full required postage is applied, thus using the presorted stamp(s) as a basis to postage needed? Example: The new Scott 4961-63 10c USA Presorted Standard stamps, using 4 of those (4ea x 10c = 40c) plus 3c stamps (3ea 3c = 9c) for a total of 49c for standard one ounce letter?

Send note to Staff
Albert

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does USPS allow one(without a permit) to use on a single envelope for mailing, a presorted stamp plus adding the additional amount required of regular stamps to makeup difference...

No. You must have a permit to use presort stamps.

Collectors can apply for a "free" permit (if you can educate your local postmaster on the regulations concerning it), then you must purchase a MPP cancellation device, etc., so for a few presort stamps it's probably just not worth the effort.

The other caveat is that you CANNOT place such mail in collection boxes; they must be presented to the clerk at the post office window where you hold the permit.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1112 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found you need a precancel use permit from the post office to use ANY precancelled stamps (Presorted stamps are considered precancel by the PO). You can then combine any combination you want on the envelope. You will need a rubbert stamp that so states "Precancel Use Permit, etc. I can send you a scan of mine if you so need one). Te MPP is a seperate device to be used as a private postmark device (I have one of those as well). Both available at PO , fill out forms, and they are free.

Once all that is done you can send them for the rest of your life (and that of the Post Offices!)

Oh yes, you do need to drop them off at the post office of issue on your permits however.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6804 Posts
Posted 07/25/2015   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested, there is a guide explaining the whole thing. USPS Quick Service Guide 604b should be available at any postal service counter. It explains how to obtain a first class permit for using precancels.
The actual permit can be obtained by filling out "PS form 3615", also available at any service counter.

Peter
Valued Member
113 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
then you must purchase a MPP cancellation device

This is not a requirement.

Quote:
You will need a rubbert stamp that so states "Precancel Use Permit, etc.

This is not a requirement either, although it's not a bad idea. I have and use such a rubber stamp. What is required is that the mailpiece be endorsed with the type of service being requested, e.g. First Class. I use a rubber stamp purchased at Staples for this.

Quote:
The other caveat is that you CANNOT place such mail in collection boxes; they must be presented to the clerk at the post office window where you hold the permit.

This is true. However, I frequently mail items franked with precancels with other mail. In many years of doing this, only two or three have been returned to me. In order to minimize the chance of an item being returned, whether mailed at the post office or elsewhere, I always include one low value tagged stamp in the franking. With the current 49c First Class rate, I'm using old 4c Steam Carriage Transportation coil scrap along with 45c in service inscribed stamps. Although newly issued low value stamps are no longer tagged, older tagged ones are easily found for face value or less at stamp shows.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 15,687Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05