Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Revenue Report From Charpex

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,852Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add southpaw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My first time at CHARPEX, Charlotte, NC yesterday. It was a beautiful day yesterday which made it difficult to spend the whole day inside, but hey, it's only once a year, and I was looking forward visiting some dealers I don't see in Atlanta or Asheville.

No earth shattering finds, but it was fun and I was able to find a few items of interest.

Dutch country auctions was there from Delaware, and I picked up a small second-third + more revenue collection and this nice R100 silk.

In that small collection was this:

I don't know what to make of it, when it was done, or what was in the mind of the person

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of nice cancels, here are the few I was able to find:
R5B HOSMER, (Charles) GOEWEY (James M.) & CO. (John H. Hough) importers and jobbers wines and liquors, 409 and 411 Front St. San francisco 1865-68

An R44 Boston Water Power Company which came out of big "junk box" I bought

An R53 with what looks like Vale Nat'l Bank J.A. Smith, Cashier? cancel

and finally an RB2A with an Xavier Bazin cancel

I also picked up a silk I needed:

Then this R71. It stood out among the others because of it's bright color. The cancel reads DB Dec (something) The paper looks to be later, very similar to the R100 actually. I'd love to get an opinion on this one.

Finally, not much I could afford in M&Ms, my budget is a bit constrained now, but I did locate a couple of cheap Brandreth facsimile labels and an RS187 with overprint:

That's it for now. I still have that collection to go through. Maybe something will come up. All in all it was a fun day treasure hunting for not much $$!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TexasGunny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive acquisitions. Your R53 appears to be "Yale" vice "Vale". This link here https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...mith&f=false lists the Yale National Bank of New Haven having a cashier names J.A. Smith.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TG! I looked and looked (and even tried Yale) but didn't find that info! I really appreciate the sleuthing.

Forgot one more: this R54 that looks powder blue to me...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TexasGunny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Yale National Bank also issued National Bank Notes according to that link. It would be pretty cool to track one of those down as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The life insurance is a silk paper. That bright red is a late shade; it's not the most stable of colors so it's noticeable when a really bright one shows up. The X.B. cancel is Xavier Bazin, who produced a match & medicine essay which was never used. There are a number of X.B. cancels.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bart! You just made my day. Can you tell me about the powder blue? The stamp is dated 1865. Is that the correct timeframe?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bart, you said the bright red is not the most stable of colors. What does it do?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 07/26/2015   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on what has happened to it over the last 145-150 years. They fade, mostly. Powder blue is a common shade on that stamp, and is a frequently found shade in the last 5 or 6 years of the issue. There was a deliberate attempt to lighten the darker shades in an attempt to prevent cleaning and reuse. Remember this was still a daylight/candlelight era, so it was an important issue.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   12:04 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cancel on the R100d appears to be either Panama or Pennsylvania Railroad.

Congrats on the R71d. TOUGH stamp! I've been hunting one for years and still don't have one. Just goes to prove that no matter how many shows you attend or how many collections/lots you go through, it's just the luck of the draw. Well found!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dan. The fella I got it from runs his own private circuit club. He just takes his 10% cut. Lots and lots of revenue sheets to look through. Lots and lots of common poor condition stuff, but I figured there was potential for finds since these were average collectors submitting material. I did find some other silks but not much else. I never considered the manuscript cancel on the R100. Interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 07/28/2015   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oh, and the R71 was priced as a R71c
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,852Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05