Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Real Picture Post Cards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was going through things and I came across a group of old family photographs that I didn't remember having....they were likely in the possession of my grandfather as he was big on genealogy.

I came across two that were pictures on postcards. One was his mother and another lady in November 1913. It was never mailed. Another was of relatives or friends (it was written on who the people were)

My question:

When did this type start and when did it fade in popularity?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
postcard of this type were very popular from about 1900 to 1930s. Turn of the Century to about 1920 were their heyday.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3649 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.metropostcard.com/guiderealphoto.html ... a little more information on this subject ;)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the right paper stock you can do it today, in fact my latest summer harvest fdc is postcard style.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2609 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   6:24 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Germany and some other European countries used them quite a bit until the 1950's-60's.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
664 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IkeyPikey...thanks for the link.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi to all

Some families used them to "show off" there new purchases. I have several where the family are sitting in their new Bugatti car, which was the 1st in New Zealand.
So some have a very real historical significance.
Regards
Horamakhet
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information everyone. My initial assumption was that this type of postcard started to fade as the Depression hit and families were focused on survival.

Appears that postcard I have is AZO 1904-1918 according to the site Ikey posted.

-MV
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05