Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Information On Melbourne Numbered Postmarks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 3,099Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pk-short to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi - As I'm working through a huge lot of Australian KGV stamps looking for interesting postmarks, I've come across these numbered Melbourne postmarks. I've also found similar postmarks for other cities such as Adelaide, but Melbourne seems to have the most varied numbers. I've found examples of these postmarks, but I can't seem to find any information about what the numbers actually represent.

Does anyone have information about these numbers or can you point me in the right direction to find more information? I've been searching the site for hours (and I must say enjoying my time reading hundreds of threads!) but not finding any information specific to these numbers.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, they merely represent the number of the cancelling hammer in use.
They would be audited, and replaced when the hammer was worn or damaged.
The cancelling counter in Melbourne GPO would have been a large (and noisy) counter.
Happy to stand corrected.

PS: For the ardent flyspecker, one could keep examples of a particular number,
and watch for wear and tear.

Example: Look at your #22, thick type early, looks like a chunk is missing from the leading "2" (1932)
Look at 1933 #22 perhaps the hammer was replaced by this new hammer?

Sequence Row 4 #2 then Row3 #3 then Row1 #3.................
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 07/31/2015 8:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information! I'm finding the variety of postmarks as interesting as the stamps themselves.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The postmarks of "hand held" cancellers of Victoria, Paul, is a vast, vast, study.
It would take 3 generations of an individual to scratch the surface.

There exists a catalogue "The Post Offices and Hand held cancellers of Victoria" began in 1977
As far as I know, only 2 volumes exist, cancellers from A-F, then the collaboration failed due to a death of one of the Philatelists (needs confirmation)

I have the first 2 volumes, and they are awe inspiring tomes.

Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 07/31/2015   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul - congrats on your new postmark collection. Several nice postmarks there already, cool!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1559 Posts
Posted 08/01/2015   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the catalogue mentioned above is actually "The Post Offices and Hand-held Datestamps of Victoria" by Gary Watson, John Webster and David Wood. v.1 A-B(1989), v.2 C-G(1992). Gary Watson and David Wood are involved in postal auctions in Melbourne. John Webster died in 1987.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 08/07/2015   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the stamps in a bit more organized fashion as I start a new section in my pre-decimal Australian stamp albums. I use Steiner pages and create custom pages using his original PageMaker files. PageMaker has been discontinued, so I'm now using Adobe's Indesign to read and create new pages from the original files.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31277 Posts
Posted 08/07/2015   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely work pk short !
First ever collection of numbered cancelling hammers I have seen.
I am a HUGE fan of Mr. Bill Steiner, love his pages, and I do what you have done above, for my collections outside the norm.
I have a catalogue for West Australian Slogans,
Cannot say if one exists for Victoria

The slogan above, "Posted City Box" comes in various flavours, keep an eye out for them.

Also, in smaller Post Offices, if the cancelling hammer was worn, or damaged,
whilst it was away being replaced or repaired, a "part time hammer" would be used
and the postmark would be "relief ......"
Watch out for those.

PS: If I were you, in your "additional numbers" I would put the hammer number 22
variety when the CDS (Circular date stamp) changed, so I would also mount the 1932
#22. Always of interest to postal historians.

Edited by rod222 - 08/07/2015 9:57 pm
Valued Member
Switzerland
249 Posts
Posted 08/07/2015   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautifull presentation. Congratulations!!
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 08/08/2015   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the encouragement. The APS has several volumes in their library covering Slogan Cancels in Australia, so I'll have to borrow them to expand my collection!

Although I started with the original Steiner pages for Australia back in 2001, I'm now at the point where all the pre-decimal pages have been replaced with custom pages following the SG or ACSC catalogs. I love the simple layout and have switched to clear mounts to add to the simplicity of the page.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 08/23/2015   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi - I decided to expand the collection into the 'Roos'

Here is a sample of the start of the collection

Canada
2 Posts
Posted 02/11/2017   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lord Mimesis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Kangaroo Numerals cancels!
So happy you included them. Any new additions?
Have you discovered any more information on the numeral cancels history?
I saw on your excellent Steiner Page layout that your numbers go to 20. I have 2 Melbourne 23s and was wondering if 23 is as high as they go.
I really like your idea of using the Steiner Pages to display the Kangaroos in numerical sequence.
I thought I had numbers higher than 23, but they were all imposters from Sydney. Sydney seemed to like numbers in the 30s, 40s and even a Sydney 50.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks also to the other posters with your input. Very helpful

Lord Mimesis
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
665 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   9:41 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi PK,

I have spent Easter preparing pages for the three types of Melbourne cds in use on Vi torian stamps from 1.1.00 to 31.12.12, nearly 75 pages in total.

I have a soft copy of Linfield and Davies "The Cancellations of Melbourne' that I am happy to email to you.

I'll post up some of my pages when I have completed them.
Edited by 64idgaf - 04/12/2020 9:43 pm
Valued Member
Canada
11 Posts
Posted 12/29/2020   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raftender to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also am interested in this subject have many hundreds of Melbourne postmarks with small to large size cancelation with numbers from 1 to 30 would love to see your work on listing them. cheers
Valued Member
Canada
11 Posts
Posted 12/29/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raftender to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine are manly on Victoria State stamps.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 3,099Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05