Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

best watermark detection?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
222 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lukusw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
What in your opinion is the best watermark detection fluid or device available?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4279 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   7:17 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ronsonol lighter fluid. When you use it do not smoke! It only takes a drop to show the watermark ( or lack thereof ) and it will not harm the stamp or the gum. You do need a black background to view the watermark.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
1256 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jkjblue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use clarity.

Available at amosadvantage

Classical era collecting with the Blues
http://bigblue1840-1940.blogspot.com/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that's what I do, too (Clarity and black dish). Except I rarely find the watermark. That's why I was wondering about a transparent filter - red, yellow, or something else. I heard that it helps finding watermarks. Old wives tale?

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1432 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   7:38 pm  Show Profile Check disi123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add disi123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have heard alot of mixed opinions on 'Clarity', Ronsonol has never failed after decades of use...

Data Integrity Solutions ~ $1.5M in eBay Sales... Dell & HP Windows 7 and 8.1 in stock now...
http://stores.ebay.com/Data-Integrity-Solutions
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Disi123. I've never used Ronsonal. I am going to buy a bottle (can?) tomorrow and do some side-by-side tests. And I'll report the results here in a day or too.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1432 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   7:56 pm  Show Profile Check disi123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add disi123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Jack... the yellow plastic bottles run between $3 and $4 per
bottle, generally... the cans I'm not sure of... but the same fluid
is in both...

Here's some examples people have listed on eBay for a visual...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...uid&_sacat=0

Randall

Data Integrity Solutions ~ $1.5M in eBay Sales... Dell & HP Windows 7 and 8.1 in stock now...
http://stores.ebay.com/Data-Integrity-Solutions
Edited by disi123 - 08/05/2015 7:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
912 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are doing lots of watermarking, you would want a Safe Signoscope device. The downside is the initial cost; they are expensive. My cost for watermark fluid is zero. I'm a geezer and bought mine years ago, so for me it was pretty cheap. I've checked thousands of watermarks and found some very good ones going through cheap lots. It has certainly paid for itself. It's an indispensable tool, along with the long and short wave UV lamp.

If you buy one used, I would advise buying from a trusted dealer/seller. I know someone who broke his, and I can't figure out how he did it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
631 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've used a Signoscope for years and it does a very nice job detecting difficult watermarks. It's expensive, yes, but it's a toy like any other toy and a lot less expensive than most (boats, sports cars, Sea Doo's, recreational drugs, etc). For modern British Commonwealth it works more often than not, however with some thick paper issues the watermarks are extremely difficult or impossible to discern. I've even had times when practicing using the T1 where a Commonwealth stamp known to only exist with a single type of watermark shows none.

I prefer the T1 as it's a lot easier to handle and creates more pressure than the T2. They pop up used on eBay and elsewhere from time to time.

For those of you who have used both Ronsonol and Clarity, do you feel there is a difference in how well one or the other shows watermarks?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
909 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Historical DNA Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've read some good reviews by SCF members about specialty devices, but I haven't tried any yet. For me a black tray works well and for the most difficult ones, I use wet scanning. As for fluid, I haven't tried anything but Ronsonol which hasn't failed me yet.

To me the hardest part about learning to see watermarks was knowing what to exactly look for. Below is an illustration that shows a basic idea of what you see when watermarking. Light from your lamp above you or from the scanner head penetrates the stamp. The arrows represent the light reflected back which you see. A watermark is basically an area of the paper that is thinner than the rest. This causes that area to appear darker, whether it be the ink of the design or the combined cancel ink and black background.

So let's put what we now know to work on an #416. It's perf 12 so we know that it has to have a Single Line (SL) watermark. It is also yellow which are considered the most difficult color stamps to see watermarks on, as well as orange.

Here's the SL watermark zoomed in:

Can you find areas on it that correlate to each of the 5 arrows in the illustration above? Post an image as a reply with the arrows numbered 1 through 5 from left to right.

Wet scanning has never failed me. Do be careful and check that your watermarking fluid won't damage your scanner or leach ink from the black paper that you use as a background. Test small areas of the scanner lid to see if the plastic softens. Touch a paper towel to your soaked black paper to see if any black ink transfers to it.

Precaution:
Non-flammable fluids like Clarity are perfectly safe as long as a bunch of it doesn't get inside the scanner body. Have a paper towel on hand to soak up excess. Using flammable fluid for any type of watermarking does have a risk of fire, so be careful not to let any inside the scanner body. Once again, something like a paper towel will soak up any excess. If any does get inside the body, then unplug the scanner and wait for all of it to evaporate.

To perform wet scanning, first put fluid on the scanner's glass. Place your stamp face up in the puddle and get any air bubbles out from under it. Soak a piece of black paper (cut to somewhat larger than the stamp) and then add a few drops more to the stamp. Place the soaked black paper over the stamp and squeegee any air out. Finally, close the lid and get the scan as quickly as possible so the fluid doesn't dry out.

Another nifty thing about wet scanning is that you can leave the stamp in the scanner and let it dry completely. Then get another scan of it which will show all of the offset ink clearly. You could then use it as a mask in photoshop to remove all of the offset ink from your wet scan.

http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa/Watermarks.htm is great for learning what orientation they can appear in and how to use a template to see where they can show up on a stamp. Advanced photoshop users can use the images there to create a layer to place above the stamp instead of using a printout and a cardboard template.

Ryan = HDNAC = DNA = HDC = Hysterical DNA Collector = Historical DNA Collector = me who just loves stamps :)
Edited by Historical DNA Collector - 08/06/2015 1:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
689 Posts
Posted 08/05/2015   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DNA: Had never considered scanning a "wet" stamp to look for watermarks. Thanks for the idea!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HistoricalDNAcollector,

Awesome tutorial. Are we seeing a "backwards" " S " ?

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   08:17 am  Show Profile Check srailkb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't recommend putting watermark fluid on a scanner bed. In fact, I can't think of much good that can come from putting any flammable liquid on any heat-generating, electronic/powered device...

Put it in a dish or on a black card and just take a picture. Even inexpensive point-and-shoots have decent macro capabilities (heck, your cell phone would probably do an adequate job...)
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   08:30 am  Show Profile Check srailkb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of Signoscopes. They do NOT find difficult watermarks on US stamps (even when you use the spacers, etc.)

I've watermarked tens of thousands of stamps (maybe 100,000's - Bill Weiss knows what I'm talking about, LOL) and probably tried 10 different Signoscopes obtained from buying out estates. I'm honestly amazed that anyone who's used one (and knows how to use fluid) would recommend them. Not only are they not effective at finding tough watermarks, but they're likely to eventually damage a stamp (from the pressure,) they're nearly-worthless if the item has a hinge or other adhesion on the back, and they don't offer nearly big enough an area to examine multiples (blocks, plate blocks, etc.)

I'd like someone to name a single major dealer or auctioneer (guys who make a living from accurately identifying stamps) who uses one, or even recommends one as the best method of watermarking stamps. There's a very good reason for that deafening silence. BTW, dealers who sell Signoscopes don't count...
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   08:40 am  Show Profile Check srailkb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add srailkb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clarity vs. Ronsonol. For me, Clarity does a great job at finding difficult watermarks, but it (a) dries way too quick for my liking (the "flashes" aren't there long enough to always see,) and (b) doesn't show tiny faults well (sometimes not at all.)

In fact, when Clarity first came out and I did my side-by-side comparison w/ Ronsonol (used them both on the same stamps for a month or so,) I was freaked out because faults I could see with Ronsonol were COMPLETELY invisible in Clarity, and that was even knowing EXACTLY where to look. I'm talking about very tiny faults -- miniscule perf tears, tiny perf creases, etc. Still...

After looking at many hundreds (probably thousands) of stamps in both fluids, I put the Clarity back in the cabinet and haven't used it since. It has its advantages, and I might still be inclined to use it for a tough watermark on a tough colored stamp, but to be honest, with experience you see those with Ronsonol too, especially when first dropped into fluid.
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1077 Posts
Posted 08/06/2015   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concure with shermae, Signoscope T1 is my favourit wmk detector, even the tough yellow stamps are sorted. That Said, I really like the idea of wet scanning, never heard about it - thanks a lot H DNA C.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Total eclipse scott number
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Question Regarding Color of GB Scott 98
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Do you recognize this cancellation?
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  Old Stamp Collection Book
  Has anyone seen this R155 overprint inking anomaly before?
  RB15c with bogus rouletting?
  National Surety and us senate air mail
  $2 Columbian MNH Full Pane of 100 - Auction Watch
  Double print or over inked or printed on the gummed side ?
  3 cent #11A should be easy Plate 1L identification but...
  Australia Post Get It Very Wrong.
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  International Postage Stamp For Sale
  Hairline in my Unitrade 138
  Fall River Philatelic Society STAMP SHOW, Saturday August 19, 2017 10AM-5PM

Globes
  Classifying Official/Penalty Envelopes
  Science-Fiction/Fantasy Stamps
  Cogwheels
  italy stamp imperf 1862-63 is this type I or type II,please help me identify?
  ship stamps
  Christmas Stamps of 1970 - Kiss Print or Double Print
  help me plate this scott 21 type III
  Scott 1700a or 1700e
  Guide lines and joint lines for coil pairs
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Lock Seals?
  Alaska Mass Flight Mail - 1934
  Early Ceylon with "CAVE" overprint
  Regency Stamps is just the latest in a long line of philatelic carpetbaggers and scalawags ...
  Private Mailing Card Act of May 19, 1898
  Booklet Pairs on Sweden Complicates Things
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  One of these eBay sellers is a bit clueless
  need help to find value and if are good or rares stamps
  Over & underinked embossed covers and 1 cut square
  Ebay netflix tax now impossed on all Australian ebay sellers
  More cluelessness, as if no one was convinced yet
  Complete set of Australian Framas
  Lighthouses on Stamps

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2014 Stamp Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05