Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are USPS "Stamps" Still Allowed On US Mail?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,916Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
570 Posts
Posted 09/15/2015   02:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I mailed a large envelope today with two booklet panes of eight "A" denominations and a pair of the "B" denomination. Dropped it in the box though so I wouldn't have to deal with explaining the rate. :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 09/15/2015   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is a case where a newer postal clerk might not know. I'd have put it in the mailbox too.
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
Posted 09/27/2015   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffyl00b to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not just the Post Office, we simply do not do math in this country. A few very recent examples. A big box store had a computer issue that double charged my card. The agent had to do a tedious reversal by typing in each product as a return to even things out. However, the total value in the receipt would mysteriously not match. THREE employees couldn't understand that if you have a purchase that used coupons, that the numbers won't be the same if you don't offset the coupons. (eg, a 5 dollar product with 2 dollar coupon is 3 dollars. So if you manually put in negative 5 dollars, why doesn't it magically turn to negative 3 dollars without the positive 2 dollars). Of course, this results in frustrated workers, and an argument with me "suggesting" I wanted the coupons back. Not that a mirror image is supposed to be a mirror image.
Just today, someone priced every discount cheese wrong in another store. Apparently 25%, or 5.99/lb or whatever will always equal 4 dollars. Doesn't matter if it's 2 pounds or a quarter pound. I don't recall since when 6 bucks a pound for 2 pounds of cheese is the same price as 6 bucks a pound for 1/4 pounds for example, or about 4 dollars. I should have just bought the biggest hunk they had, instead of dealing with a very flustered cashier who had to be shown that 5.99 per pound times the weight gives you the actual price.
Then again, there is also big box store routinely charges way too much for its discounted meat by mysteriously adding weight from the packaging which it doesn't in the original price. Think anyone else counts?

And forget about ever ordering a third of a pound of anything at a deli counter!

I cringe anytime I have to put too many random numbered stamped on a package. Those little bar code stickers are like digital watches, who has to count basic numbers?

PS, I always see calculators at post offices, what's the deal in this thread?!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1154 Posts
Posted 09/27/2015   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the problem is today's postal worker can't count over 10 and your forcing these people to use their intelligence. Most USPS workers haven't seen stamps, let alone a Souvenir Sheets. Last time I tried to mail an item with a Souvenir Sheet on it across a Postal Window the Postal Clerk didn't want to accept the package because he didn't think the stamps were real! The clerk didn't believe the SIPEX SS was a real stamp! THEN, he questioned me whether Souvenir Sheets were valid for postage! When I told him to pull out his Domestic Mail Manual and look it up or get the Postmaster and have him look it up for him, he changed his tune and accepted the package. And this character is a regular USPS window clerk, not a temp.
Valued Member
Switzerland
249 Posts
Posted 09/27/2015   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.
Here in Switzerland, when they see I use nice stamps, they ask me if I want to use a normal cancel or a decorative cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1154 Posts
Posted 09/27/2015   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
codexluminati I'm jealous!!

Hal
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 09/27/2015   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using the recent "First Class Rate" rate change stamps without any additional postage. They have the tagging so the automated machines simply spray on a cancel and move to the next. Thus far I haven't had any returned or not make its destination.
Valued Member
United States
48 Posts
Posted 09/28/2015   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BaldEagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I generally take all my multi-stamp envelopes and packages to the same two small post offices in towns adjoining my own city. I live in the far southeast corner of a larger city where the closest offices are in the next town north with two windows the other is a contract station in the next town south in a greeting card shop. Between them there are five clerks who have been there for years and know who I am. I always write the amount of postage I have applied in the upper left corner of the envelope/package and 99% of the time it agrees with their scales, so no count is ever made by the clerks. My wife is not so lucky as they don't know her and she often comes home frustrated by substitute clerks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 09/28/2015   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I managed my store I would take care of returns as it could be a bit confusing especially with the sales tax also figured into the equation. Ex. A tripod is 19.95 plus 8% sales tax for a total of $21.55 less the $5.00 coupon for a grand total of $16.55. You pay the tax on the full amount of the item and not $19.95 less $5.00 plus tax or $16.15. Some customers didn't understand. Some customers would try to get $21.55 back playing dumb with the coupon. The automation process is set up so it will do it for you without thinking and 99% of the time it is problem free. I wouldn't expect a postal clerk to know that the 'a' denomination Scott #1735 was 15 cents unless he encountered it everyday which is doubtful.
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buck49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
She stood there diligently pushing the stamps with one finger across the package and I just couldn't figure out what she was doing. Finally, she handed them back to me and told me they were not longer any good because they wouldn't stick. I flipped them over, and sure enough, the glue was still there.

Then it dawned on me what the problem was. I asked her how old she was and she told me she was 22. Yep, never had to lick a stamp in her life. I told her she needed to lick and stick the stamps and she was rather put off replying "yyyyyucccckkk".

Makes me wonder how many of us ever had a self-adhesive stamp stuck on our tounge...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never thought of not ever having to lick a stamp
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I buy mint Canada stamps at a monthly stamp market...save a bit of money over what i'd pay at Canada Post...i like affixing the older stamps to my letters and packages...i always get positive comments from the recipients...and a lot of the time they
remark that the stamps didn't get cancelled.
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of a recent event in a Hardee's fast food restaurant. They have a hamburger called a "thick burger". A sign on the back wall advertised that thick burgers come in both 1/2 pound and 1/3 pound sizes. A young couple standing in line in front of me discussing what to order, I overheard the young man say " I think I will order the 1/3 pounder cause I am extra hungry today... What do they teach in school today?
Valued Member
313 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is an old thread, but the OP mentioned placing a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope in the mailbox with stamps and a tracking number. If one were to place a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope that does not exceed 10oz per USPS rules in an outgoing mailbox, how do you get a tracking number for it? Can a tracking number be obtained for First Class Packages that do not exceed 10oz that only has stamps on it placed in an outgoing mailbox?
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can get a tracking number when I print a shipping label off of eBay (or via usps online store) and put that label on corresponding package which can be picked up in my mailbox by the post office.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,916Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05