Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are USPS "Stamps" Still Allowed On US Mail?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,918Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
313 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
james's: Correct, but if you just using stamps only and are mailing something under 10oz with First Class Package or Priority Mail, does the USPS offer a tracking number? From the OP's first post, it sounds like they do and if so, how does one obtain one?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djlirette to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I send first class packages with stamps all of the time and use Label 400 on the package. Label 400 is the alternative to digital tracking number and is free with first class package and higher rate classes when using stamps. There is still the 10 ounce rule on packages with stamps (formally 13 ounce uni-bomber rule) and now packages which are thicker than half an inch with stamps must be handed to a clerk (also adopted as a result of the bombs in small packages in the Austin area a couple of years ago).

Announcement of latest change:

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...is-month.htm

Tracking label order form which has actual bar codes not blank in the center as the image shows:

https://store.usps.com/store/produc...0-P_LABEL400
Pillar Of The Community
3488 Posts
Posted 07/14/2020   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A complete "Label 400" ...

The mailer retains the narrow strip at the bottom.
Valued Member
313 Posts
Posted 07/15/2020   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
djlirette and John Becker: Thank you for the helpful information!
1 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading this thread it makes me want --- although I will NOT do it - but if I ever run into someone with a surplus of the old transportation coil stamps I will gleefully use them to test the basic math skills of the postal clerk. I mean what would happen if I used the transportation 20.5, 12.5, 17, 3, and 4 0.5 cent stamps in place of a 55 cent stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You will have to have a precancel permit to use those. And chances are you will get whatever you mail back with a notice to use allowed stamps!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You would make some postal clerk really, really angry?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 12/22/2020   9:57 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I send hundreds of small tracked packages with label 400 a year, and a few larger size ones. I have recently started handing them over the counter again because it's the only way to get the darn things into the tracking system (and even then, most facilities aren't scanning, but at least I can prove I mailed them).

I had a cranky clerk tell me a few days ago that my stamp laden packages (which rarely weigh more than 6 ounces) are considered "suspicious." I'm still mailing them, of course.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
Posted 12/23/2020   02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I often use the early Transportation coil fractionals (non-precanceled) as they don't require a precancel permit. These include the 3.4 School Bus, 4.9 Buckboard, 5.2 Sleigh, 5.9 Bicycle, 7.4 Baby Buggy, 9.3 Mail Wagon, etc. Usually they're used on a #10 envelope for first class (and sometimes additional ounce) mailings. I've never had a problem, but I'm ready for battle if they don't like me using them. :-)
Member APS #174069, PNC3 #2386, AFDCS #29532O, PSS #8418

Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org)

Coil Line (club newsletter) Editor & Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 12/23/2020   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it's not just stamps and math...try asking a youngun these days to sign their name in cursive or write anything in cursive....

in the old days in school we used to have to memorize our multiplication and division tables and write pages upon pages of cursive...

Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
Posted 01/15/2021   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffyl00b to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Someone in 2015 said it correctly, try asking anyone in the USA to do any type of math, and you get a deer in the headlights look. Pre-Pandemic giving people cash and change lead to amazing bouts of incompetency. I didn't even think I'm that old, and all of my summer jobs involved a simple math test, even at the fast food restaurant!
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 01/18/2021   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gierhead to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
paperhistory
I'm sorry to hear about your dealings with a "cranky clerk". Your package would only be "suspicious" IF it had NOT been handed over at the counter to a clerk. That clerk was wrong in saying that.

See djlirette's posting from 07/14/2020 : 11:09 pm. They explain it rather clear.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5964 Posts
Posted 01/19/2021   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just decorated the heck out of some mail to my Town Clerk using twenty 3 cent commemoratives. Not easy to fit I might add.
Valued Member
313 Posts
Posted 01/20/2021   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam: Feel free to share such beautiful decorations on this thread I started. I'm impressed on how you were able to fit twenty 3 cent commemoratives on an envelope.

http://goscf.com/t/72808&whichpage=1

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 5,918Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05