Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Postcard You May Not Have Wanted To Receive

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

1515 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jenny2U to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The front is serene snow scene:

The back however is a bit ominous:

The message is written in Latin. So far I've been able to translate it as follows:

Neglegentia = negligence or neglect

est = is

mo??

amicitiae = friendship

The missing word is probably something like "bad" but I haven't been able to make it out. Is it just me or is the drawing, together with the message, a bit scary even for 1908
Send note to Staff
Edited by Jenny2U - 09/17/2015 08:35 am

Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I love old postcards. You get a peek into someone's life for an instant. I must admit though, I've never seen one quite like this. Usually the worst is 'why don't you write'.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Santa Rosa doesn't often get snow
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Latin translates as "This could be your last copy of our catalog."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, "Negligence is the death (mors) of friendship."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1581 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Latin translates as "This could be your last copy of our catalog."

I sure wish Fingerhut would abide by that
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought something for my Mum once from a catalog and I'm still getting copies of Women Within!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
634 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I believe KGB has the correct translation. The standing figure it fighting off "death" neglect. The prone figure at the bottom "friendship" has "died" and the sole "bird" is departing the body.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1309 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Snowfall in Santa Rosa is quite rare, and the postcard records an extraordinary event. Since recordkeeping started in 1902, measurable snow accumulation has occurred there only three times: 3" in January 1907 (the subject of this card); an astonishing 24" in January 1917; and an impressive 6.5" in April 1963. For the mild, Bay-influenced climate of Santa Rosa, any snow accumulation over 0.25" is noteworthy. The fact that the sender chose to send this striking image from Berkeley to San Diego in mid-summer makes the written sentiment even more stark as a wake-up call--or perhaps early 20th century "stalking". Be my friend or else ...

The upside-down, angled position of the stamp also may have communicated something. Wasn't there some kind of code for this positioning in the early 20th century?
Valued Member
Learn More...
415 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like that position of the stamp means "My heart is yours" according to this website.

http://www.philatelicdatabase.com/n...e-of-stamps/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the Electric Company here knows that my heart is theirs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp position looks closer to "I will await you". Possibly more fitting to the subject of the sender being neglected, but its speculation at best.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3814 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tell George Lucas that there is prior art on Darth Vader, but that you will burn it, for a price.
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGB thanks for figuring out the missing word. I think the translation though is "Neglect is the death of friendship" (neglect fits better than negligence). But yeah like someone said above, a simple "why don't you write" would have been less menacing. I never noticed the placement of the stamp - I wonder what the writer was trying to convey.

Hmmm and wasn't George Lucas from the Santa Rosa area?

Valued Member
Learn More...
415 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After a second closer look at the website, the positioning looks like "I will await you" which would be more consistent with the written message/drawings. I also find these older postcards that have been sent through the mails with personal message fascinating as one imagines and speculates about the people and their lives on either end of the communication.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/17/2015   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Translations are flexible, of course, but Latin has words meaning 'neglect' and 'negligence.'

As for stamp positioning, you mean I've been telling the Electric Company that I'm waiting for a visit?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05