Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Magical Mystery Postcard #8 Art By Carrie Carlton

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3652 Posts
Posted 09/22/2015   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Magical Mystery Postcard #8 Art by Carrie Carlton

The Kodak black'n'orange livery, I get.

The sports stadium half-time photo op, I get.

Q/ What is going on with the fans in the stands?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
New Zealand
896 Posts
Posted 09/23/2015   05:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bas S Warwick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Crowd holding flash cards to promote sales to China

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/24/2015   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who is Carrie Carlton? She definitely didn't draw the 1955 Ford Convertible. It was clipped out of a 1955 Ford Ad. She didn't even remove the ad image viewed through the passengers window.

I think I have the original ad it came from. I'll check my inventory and if I do, I will take a photo and post it.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/24/2015   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just pulled it out of inventory. Here is the original 1955 Ford ad:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3652 Posts
Posted 11/24/2015   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Who is Carrie Carlton? ...

The postcard imprint reads "Carrie Carlton AKA Carioca", but googling only turns-up one other card.

Quote:
... It was clipped out of a 1955 Ford Ad ... Here is the original 1955 Ford ad ...

Well-spotted!

Pulled that one out pretty quick, dsmith426 ... 'inventory' ... do you deal in old paper?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 11/24/2015   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith426 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I deal in Automobile, Truck, and Motorcycle ephemera (articles, ads, paint chip charts, dealership sales folders & brochures, etc)
Edited by dsmith426 - 11/24/2015 9:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2562 Posts
Posted 11/24/2015   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Timothy Leary might have something to do with this post card. It looks like a cross between Alice in Wonderland and Gulliver's Travels. There is a 220 foot 1955 Ford convertible driven by an extremely large woman running over a band at a half time show of American football in a Chinese football stadium. Hmmm.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 11/24/2015 10:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3652 Posts
Posted 11/24/2015   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Timothy Leary might have something to do with this post card ...

Well-spotted, bookbndrbob!

Q/ Anybody got any covers from the Leary-Liddy tour?

Quote:
Leary began to foster an improbable friendship with former foe G. Gordon Liddy, the Watergate burglar and conservative radio talk-show host. They toured the lecture circuit in 1982 as ex-cons ... debating different social and fiscal issues from gay rights and abortion to welfare and the environment, with Leary generally espousing left-wing views and Liddy continuing to conform to a right-wing stance. The tour generated massive publicity and considerable funds for both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2562 Posts
Posted 11/24/2015   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Truth is almost always stranger than fiction. Didn't know about the G. Gordon Liddy connection. That is quite a duo. Anyway, here is photograph of Tim from March of 1968, when he was guest lecturing at the college I was attending.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 11/24/2015 11:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1024 Posts
Posted 11/25/2015   12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you "bookbndrbob"
Quote:
Timothy Leary
-- De'Ja'Vu!! MAN! Boy…trippin' photo, Man. Beads.. flower power.. whoa! Mutton chops! Fu-Manchu Mustache--Hair down to my shoulders. Hassled by the Fuzz. And when I discovered girls were more fun than stamps!! The girls liked this book WAY better than stamps. (I think I'll stop there).

THANKS for flashbacks!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05