Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamps And Humor: A Comprehensive Survey In Nineteen Volumes

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 5,142Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/23/2015   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KGB to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well... I think we could at least fill three or four pages.

Has anyone any examples?

Comments most welcome!
Send note to Staff
Edited by KGB - 09/23/2015 10:22 am

Valued Member
369 Posts
Posted 09/23/2015   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1840to1940 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What amazes me is how little humor there is related to stamp collecting itself. That is, there are lots of jokes about mailing letters or the post office, but precious few specific to philately. And many of those are about collecting in general--you could substitute rock or button collecting and they would work.

So I'll start out with three:

"A boy of 12 was a dedicated stamp collector; until the lad next door also bought an album. 'He buys every stamp I do,' the boy complained to his father, 'and he's taken all the fun of it away.' 'Don't be a fool, my boy,' said his wise dad. 'Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of philately."
--From the Edinburgh Evening News as quoted on Don Schilling's blog, The Stamp Collector's Roundup

And in honor of the great, late Yogi Berra:

Interviewer - "Why, you're a fatalist !"
Yogi Berra - "You mean I save postage stamps? Not me."

The last one is a few lines of dialogue from a film. I like it because you have to know something about stamps to appreciate the humor. That there is a group of US stamps called the "two cent reds." And that there were stamps specifically for airmailing letters and these cost more than regular postage. And that the $27K probably refers to the Inverted Jenny.

"Look but don't touch! I paid $27,000 for that stamp."
"You paid too much. That's a red stamp. Everybody knows that red stamps only cost 2. The most I ever paid for a stamp was 8, and that was for one of those airplane ones."
--Early to Bed, a 1936 Hollywood comedy

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/23/2015   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hahha, I wish there were a "groan" emoticon!
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 09/23/2015   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackhorseson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Yogi quote. The last one sounds like something Lou Costello would say in one of his films.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/23/2015   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
4704 Posts
Posted 09/24/2015   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WT. I read Pickles ever day -- love Earl and Opal. Your strip is from before I discovered them -- thanks for sharing.

This week, Opal has a brush with royalty...

Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 09/24/2015   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampalotapus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall a book when I was young that contained Stamp Humor - Here's one page that I recreated from memory...

Regards,
Stampalotapus
Learn More...
United States
4704 Posts
Posted 09/28/2015   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From today's strips....

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/28/2015   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are all great!
Learn More...
United States
4704 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow... two in the same week...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When an album collection comes in the mail and my wife says " dont you have enough of those"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jim, does your bride carry a rolling pin?
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
3028 Posts
Posted 10/13/2015   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Making up ones own fun stories with stamps is a lovely idea!

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29903 Posts
Posted 05/12/2018   04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
4704 Posts
Posted 05/12/2018   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Great one, Rod !
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 5,142Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05