Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Banknote "Return To Record And Specimen Department"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,617Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
303 Posts
Posted 09/28/2015   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 65170 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have recently acquired the attached piece. While the rubber stamp in the top margin is fairly obvious as to its purpose, can anyone expand on the functions of the Record and Specimen Department, please? GLENN

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 09/28/2015   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very intriguing. Also what was the history of the department? Was it active for all issues created by ABNCo?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/28/2015   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume this was the regular practice. It sounds like an archive of all the work done.

Here's another example:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I assume this was the regular practice. It sounds like an archive of all the work done.

I'm sifting through the production category for the first time and finding lots of interesting stuff! A few years late to the party on this topic, but -- yes, KGB is exactly correct. Records and Archives was just a vast storage area for specimens of all of ABNC's work. In fact, all the banknote companies had archives like this.

I am most familiar with this rubber stamp on stock and bond specimens, so it's interesting to see it on stamps. You will also find specimens stamped "Last Specimen, Reserve 0" -- meaning this was the last archival example, so put it back when you are done! The implication is that there were often extra samples on file that salesmen might give to customers.

Here are a few specimen items with similar rubber stamps. A great amount of this kind of material came onto the market beginning in 1988, around the time ABNC was bought out by US Banknote Corp and slowly liquidated its archives in a series of auctions: https://www.coxrail.com/abn-archives.asp

Edited by GregAlex - 03/07/2021 11:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am familiar with the system of Thomas De La Rue in England. If there was an order for an already previously printed stamp. The archive department would issue some sample blocks as print and color reference. This was given to the production department and maybe other departments. After the new order was printed, this sample would be returned to the archive department.
In the Thomas De La Rue archives there were quite some shabby looking specimens, many times put together with a paperclip.
In the first order they would keep a file copy of that print. Looking at maybe 100 different file sheets in the De La Rue archives, the ones printed multiple times would have big pieces missing of the file copies. Less reprinted stamps would have less stamps missing from the sheets.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,617Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05