Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dating The Alsterpavillon In Hamburg

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,718Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/29/2015   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Q/ Can y'all help me date this image of the Alsterpavillon in Hamburg?

One issue is perspective: this is the landside of the building, and most images are of the riverside.

One issue is chronological: images from the early 1900s show a very different roof, and the building was destroyed in 1942.

But if you check the name over the door, it is the Alsterpavillon!

I'm guessing that folks who know cars ...

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsterpavillon ... die Wiki-Seite

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...sterpavillon ... das Wiki Commons Fotoarchiv

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Presumably, this is the building constructed in 1900 and razed in 1914. Your image is the same as the building as I've seen flying the Third Reich flag. So we're between 1914 and 1942, which you must know.

I wish I knew cars better, but they look like models from the early '30s to me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey,

As KGB stated above, the Alsterpavillon shown on your card is the fifth Alsterpavillion, which places the date somewhere between 1914 and 1942. Judging by the cars, I'm guessing late 1930s.

Of note, many of the later postcards showing a Nazi flag over the Alsterpavillion have the flag Photoshopped in (or the 1930s equivalent).

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... So we're between 1914 and 1942, which you must know ...

Thank you for the kind thought, but all I had found to date was that the c1905 building did not have the high roof & statuary ... I did not know it was razed in 1914.

So many of the architectural details are similar; was the building razed, or did they merely raise the roof?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure it was completely redone.

Here's some history: http://www.welt.de/print-welt/artic...-anders.html
Edited by KGB - 09/30/2015 12:32 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Weimar Republic flag was three solid bars, and that ain't what's flying on that building.

In fact, I see block letters:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/de193345.html ... good reference for flags of the Third German Empire 1933-1945 (Third Reich), but I don't see any flags with block letters.

Meanwhile, this guy sure looks post-1932:

If he's not a mailman or policeman or whatever, that would narrow us to 1933-1942.

Q/ Could the Alsterpavillon be flying sort of banner for the 1936 Summer Olympics?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 09/30/2015   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of photos I've seen show the Alsterpavillon flying the Hamburg state flag. Your flag, ikey, doesn't quite fit that bill, however.

Can you see what is flying on the other two staffs?
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGB: Here are the other two flags.

(For a commercial slide show, I once tried to photograph a flag waving in the breeze. I was on a tropical island, where the breeze *seemed* steady, but the flag would open wide, flop closed, open wide. If you were watching casually, it seemed evenly rhythmic; but if you were trying to catch the flag during its best quarter-second, the event was clearly random. After I went thru a whole roll of 35mm color slide film, I was confident that I had one or two pretty good shots. One was more like it.)

The flag at the west corner of the Alsterpavillon:

The flag at the south corner of the Alsterpavillon:

Q/ Does that help?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, no. They look like pennants and aren't open enough to give much of a hint of what they might tell us.

Incidentally, the weather looks cold in your photo, so I doubt if it was taken during the summer.

As for the man in the dark uniform, I don't think it's military.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,718Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05