Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Folklore Statues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,672Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 10/01/2015   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Folklore Statues

Let's begin with The Monkeys' Fountain in Ouchy (nr Lausanne) CH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys ... the origin is Japanese?

I always thought that this trope began with Moe, Larry & Curly

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1192 Posts
Posted 05/01/2018   12:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the Japanese carving of the Three Monkeys (Sanzaru) that popularized the proverb, on the Sacred Stable at Nikko Toshogu Shrine, dating from 1636. I bought this postcard when I was there in 2009.

Speaking of monkeys, here's the Eulenspiegelbrunnen (Eulenspiegel Fountain) in Braunschweig, Germany. Till Eulenspiegel was a legendary prankster, who is supposed to have been born around 1300 in Kneitlingen, near Braunschweig. Surrounding the fountain are figures of owls and monkeys, alluding to a story in which Eulenspiegel posed as a baker's apprentice in Braunschweig.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by erilaz - 05/01/2018 12:51 am
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 05/12/2018   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit of a s-t-r-e-t-c-h, but what topic does not need a little s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g now & again?

Quote:
... William Ricketts (18981993) was an Australian potter and sculptor of the arts and crafts movement ... the power of his vision of a modern Australia that embraces Aboriginal spirituality and respect for the natural world was his general message throughout his artworks ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ricketts

If I understand correctly, this is a clay statue of the remains of a tree, after a forest fire, that was then carved into a statue.

Edited to add: Anybody else notice the unusual deckling on this card? Not the usual continuous rouletting.
Edited by ikeyPikey - 05/12/2018 11:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1192 Posts
Posted 09/24/2019   12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an older (1907) postcard of the Three Monkeys at Nikko. Uncle Louis writes from Yokohama to his niece Frieda in Chicago: "Behold the 3 monkeys. 1 holds his hands over his eyes: he sees no evil. The other over his ears, he hears no evil & the 3d over his mouth & he speaks no evil. Always follow their principle & the profession will do well."

Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,672Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05