Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bob USA Info Please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,136Next Topic  
Valued Member

Switzerland
251 Posts
Posted 10/05/2015   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add codexluminati to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found them at the end of a local postage stamp album.
No idea what they are, maybe just cut outs from books.
Any info appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7542 Posts
Posted 10/05/2015   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the examples on the top two rows might be listed in one of the Springer volumes.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Switzerland
251 Posts
Posted 10/06/2015   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks revcollector, does anyone have access to the Springer volumes?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
744 Posts
Posted 10/06/2015   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Springer Tenth Edition, 1985, has some American Merchants Union Express Company newspaper stamps similar to your Bound Book Stamps. They were valued by Springer at $5 each in 1985. The only other edition I have is the seventh from 1974. It has some express labels but none like yours.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5245 Posts
Posted 10/06/2015   8:09 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those bound book stamps are neat; I haven't seen those before.
Valued Member
Switzerland
251 Posts
Posted 10/06/2015   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info southpaw .
So the company is American Merchants Union Express Company 1869-1873.
At least now I have a time period.
Online I found the story:
American Express was formed on March 18, 1850 by Henry Wells, William G. Fargo and John Butterfield through combination of Wells and Company. In 1868 the company merged with Merchants Union Express Company to become American Merchants Union Express Company. In 1873, the name was changed back to American Express.

If anyone would have any other info it would be great.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 10/06/2015   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Switzerland
251 Posts
Posted 10/06/2015   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice link KGB. Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
736 Posts
Posted 10/07/2015   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Mosher volume indeed lists the Bound Book stamps. The three denominations you illustrate are there with an 1872(?) date. It is noted that the 25 denomination is unknown (I take that to mean that is existence had not been confirmed by Mosher). I guess that it is now known! Check Eric Jackson's website for a price on the Mosher volume; I am sure that he has one in his inventory of literature.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1168 Posts
Posted 10/07/2015   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGB -- Thanks for the info on The Mosher Volume.

Hal
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 10/07/2015   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 3 stamps American Merchants Union Express 1868-73 are listed in Mosher, 2002; as AMUX-530 for the 10c, AMUX-531 = 15c & AMUX-532 = .25, 1872?. The 1st 2 are valued at 50.00, the last one valve listed as unknown.

Adams Express 1854-1918 is considered a corner card, is ADX-C36 $75.00.
New Jersey Express 1854-88 is also a corner card # NJX-C5 $100.00.
Pacific Stage & Express Co. 1860-64. There is little detail on this company. Mosher has one listing for this company and neither of yours is one. You may have some unlisted issues on the plus side, I like the one listing all the serviced cities of which are not noted in the catalog.
Valued Member
Switzerland
251 Posts
Posted 10/08/2015   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks revenuermd and warrehouse , for identifying the stamps and getting all the info related to them.
The rarity of those stamps and cut outs was a surprise.
Now the question is what I do with them, keeping them at the end of the album is a shame.
Maybe I will make a special page for them, with all the other locals from all around the world that are in the album.(I may require again all your knoledge, even if there were only a few Americans, most locals are British , Australian, Scandinavian, Russian, Swiss and Chinese)
Valued Member
Switzerland
251 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested, I just put these stamps on sale on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7611 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Codex, can you give us a better link, directly to your page?

Peter
Valued Member
Switzerland
251 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codexluminati to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,136Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05