Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us Zip Block, Mail Early Blocks and Copyright Blocks

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 08/21/2018   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GrandpaJohn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I too collect them, Americana Series only though. The last group of them I got I bought from a dealer who was selling them all (MNH) @ face. Still have a lot of holes to fill, that is if I use the White Ace pages which have a place for one of each.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 08/21/2018   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JRS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey MarginBlocks. Good to finally connect up with you. Assuming you collect zip/ME blocks since you've created a database for them? Would you be willing to share a page of your database for zips and MEs. I'm interested in seeing what format your using to track differ positions/etc. Does your database include perf, tagging, paper varities and Bureau percan ? Working on collecting all ME blocks (ie perf, tagging, paper varities and Bureau percan) and looking for database source to see if I missed things. I'm out of town next couple of weeks for vacation. Back 1st of Sept.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5939 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   08:05 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JRS, for clarity sake and so other folks can understand you, a percan is a precancel?

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 08/22/2018 08:27 am
Valued Member
124 Posts
Posted 08/22/2018   10:54 pm  Show Profile Check bobplates's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes people buy zip blocks. In fact there is more demand for 60-90's zip blocks then there is for plate blocks.

Bob
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 09/21/2018   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tikithindi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did Collect Zip block, MI inscription ,Copy right and other
came with my Sheet Collection. Collecting since 1974.. since self sticking Issues started some what reduced collecting.

tickithindi
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
488 Posts
Posted 09/21/2018   12:03 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep they are cool-

United States
2 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CBelty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings - I'm new to the community, appreciate the depth of knowledge and sharing I see here - I was an avid collector in my youth but drifted away from it.
Since I was the 'geek' in my family (and my wife's family), when my wife's grandmother passed away in 1986 my wife and I inherited her stamp collection. My wife's grandmother (Roberta Hoyt Payne) was postmistress for decades in Shady NY (Woodstock), delivering the mail from her home for the whole community (including a young Robert Zimmerman, i.e. Bob Dylan). Within the collection are hundreds of pages of Plate Blocks and US Zip Blocks (I added a few pics) --- all nicely mounted in Minkus pages. These date from the 40s through the early 80s. Could anyone please give me a rough view on the value of these? I realize most of them are probably little value, but are there any particular ones that are rarities? Thanks.

Valued Member
90 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're correct that most plate blocks from this period have little value. There may be a handful of particular plate numbers that have a higher value. You would need a Durland catalog to look up individual plate numbers.

However, these appear to have been mounted using a product called Crystal Mounts and look damaged in some way, stuck down, wrinkled, stained. As a result, their value as postage would exceed any collectible value.

If you do a search on Crystal Mounts, you'll find a few threads on this forum. This is one: http://goscf.com/t/57305

I used Crystal mounts back in the 1960s and had a collection of mint US singles ruined. Fortunately not a lot of value.
Learn More...
5942 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   1:39 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...You would need a Durland catalog to look up individual plate numbers...

You can lookup all US plate numbers (not values) for free here http://stampsmarter.com/features/Pl...ockHome.html

Don
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not only are there some collectors of US marginalia, any collectors of full panes (or uncut sheets) will have necessarily all of the ZIP blocks, copyright blocks, etc.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CBelty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Philatomic & 51Studebaker for your info. I'll look at the plate numbers database you pointed to. One follow-on question: the blocks are not mounted or glued in any way down to the pages, actually there are clear sleeves in which each block is placed, and these sleeves are hinge mounted (or double hinge mounted) down to the page - but there is nothing at all attached to any of the stamps: see pic below, where I have slid out one of the blocks from the sleeve. Philatomic, are these what you referred to, the Crystal Mounts, or are these something different? Thank you.

Valued Member
90 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those mounts definitely appear to be Crystal Mounts. My experience with them was that they sometimes shrunk and compressed the stamps within, and that they damaged the gum by giving it a glazed appearance even if the stamp wasn't stuck to the mount. Perhaps some of what I saw in your scans as damage was just the way the light was being reflected on the uneven surface of the mounts.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05