Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Russian Stamps- Are Groundwork Inverted?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 7,687Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

571 Posts
Posted 10/19/2015   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blazenstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are three used Russian stamps recently purchased. The 1866 1k black and yellow on horizontally laid paper, used, and 1875 (2) 2k black and red horizontally laid paper used including one of them with red cancellation on topic of front view of stamp.
The question I would like to ask is the following: Would any of these three Russian Empire used stamps be considered to have the "ground work inverted?"
Any information would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Blazenstar
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/19/2015   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are the three stamps..front and back..They are all horizontally laid paper in the back of the stamps

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 10/19/2015   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an excerpt from a post of mine from 2011. This is the best "inverted background" information I've seen:

Quote:
While we sort that out, Rod, you might want to take a look at this October, 1961 issue of The Post Horn from the Scandinavian Collectors Club. The first article deals with the Finnish 10p inverted background of 1906, with clear pictures and explanation for that issue.

Granted, it is a different design, so I'm not sure much of this would translate to your particular Russian question, but it is interesting reading, in any event.

http://posthorn.scc-online.org/volume_18-4.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/20/2015   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Cjd..wonderful and very informative. love learning about markings. I have been checking other sites to see if could get more information pertaining inverted stamp markings. Could it be due to the writing, or a specific manner of the scrolls or missing posthorns or in another direction than the normal stamp is placed ect?
I have read that the following have a possibility of inverted/ groundwork can be with these stamps From Russia Scott 19-38 other than being the normal stamp.
1866-70, Horizontal laid paper 1k black and yellow, 3k black and dark green.( V's in groundwork which is an error), 10k brown and blue, (center inverted)
1875-82, Horizontally laid paper,2k black and red, 7k, center inverted, 10 k brown and blue can have (center inverted), 20 k blue and orange can have (center inverted).
1883-66 Horizontally Laid paper, 1k orange,2k dark green, 3k carmine, 5c red violet, 14k blue and and rose with possibility of a (center inverted).
With Thunderbolts Across Posthorns: 1889 4k rose, 1889-9k,2k green,5k red violet (ground work omitted), 7k dark blue, (groundwork inverted and ground work omitted as possibilities), 14k blue and rose, (center inverted)
1902-5, Vertically laid paper, 1k orange,2k yellow green, 3k rose, 4k red rose, 5k red violet, 7k dark blue, 10k dark blue, 14 k blue and rose, (center inverted).
With all the stamps above between Scott 19-38, it would be interesting to know what is the groundwork difference from a normal stamp to help identify. It makes a huge difference for values from a normal stamp.
With the above stamps shown in picture,
Not sure if with the 1875- 82 2k black and red, Horizontal laid paper without watermark if makes a difference with the position with the background with the (2) and (11)'s ect in the red area for a ground work inverted. It is very difficult to see with scan the backgrounds and usually have to view under scope. It is with numbers in it, not just color.In Scotts, doesn't specify anything about these matters.
If anyone has information on this, would appreciate input of comment or references to look up to read.

It was very interesting to learn about the 10k red rose from Finland and the slight change to tell the difference between an normal vs inverted. Appreciate your information so much.
Thank you again, Cjd for sharing your linkage with all of us. Have a wonderful day!
Blazenstar
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 10/20/2015   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blazenstar, I have read an article on this somewhere. I will try and find it if I can. In the meantime, there is probably no way we can tell anything about the background unless you blow the pictures up really good!
I tried enlarging the red ones and they seem normal. In other words, they SEEM to be normal, but the enlargement was blurry. On the yellow stamp I could not tell any detail at all!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
571 Posts
Posted 10/21/2015   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blazenstar to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Peter. I agree with you,that the stamps are difficult to view about background with the scans especially with the stringent details required to tell the difference of a normal vs inverted groundwork stamp.

I just found some truly fantastic information about groundworks inverted pertaining to Russian Imperial stamps. I don't know if this is what you may have read in past.
It was on Stampboard, posted Tuesday May 31,2001 with a gentleman screenname, Vasia. The information he provided was fabulous! He had photographs and explained in such specific details what exactly to look for with the inverts/ ground works.
He showed a 3k in photos and others for specific markings. I was so excited to read his information. His comments had answered my question. The 2's in the Scott Russian 26 background red and black the stamp was groundwork was upside down position. So, it does make a difference when viewing it for groundwork inverted.
Those above just appear to be normal stamps compared to the illustrated pictures he had. I am so happy with the information that I get to know the difference what to look for on my adventures! Thank you for your assistance, Peter! smiles
Blazenstar

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 02/13/2017   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Farazdak, and welcome to this forum. I an afraid I can really not tell much about your stamp because it is very much out of focus. But if I squint my eyes, it looks as if all is normal. If you could please post a scan or an in-focus picture, maybe we can tell better.

Peter
Valued Member
Iraq
10 Posts
Posted 02/13/2017   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FARAZDAK ALTAMIMI to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everybody , please look at the errors on this 2k Russian Imperial : the piece which looks like question mark on the head of eah eagle , it's disconnected from the head of the left eagle , the third old Russian letter of the english word "two" the small dash on the upper part of the letter is not completed , also I would appreciate if any one can tell is the groundwork inverted ?

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2741 Posts
Posted 02/13/2017   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi; Here are some perfect examples of inverted types:
https://www.cherrystoneauctions.com...untry=RUSSIA
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6986 Posts
Posted 02/13/2017   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Farazdak, much better pictures. The two items you call errors are just a questions of inking in my opinion.
Like a small piece of dirt on the plate or maybe even a lack of ink.
If the background was inverted, on these stamps you would see a white spot on the bottom of the stamp. The area where the crown is lacks the background printing and if the background is inverted you would see an unprinted area on the bottom.
By the way, there is also a broken outer bottom frame on your stamp, which may very well be a known variety.

Peter
Learn More...
8499 Posts
Posted 02/13/2017   1:58 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Farazdak,
To reply to thread please use this

Please do NOT use this (hope I got the Arabic 'no' right).

Don
Valued Member
Iraq
10 Posts
Posted 02/13/2017   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FARAZDAK ALTAMIMI to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Perf12 the link is fantastic . Than you Peter I will read you analysis very carefully .
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/13/2017   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add akhav to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/13/2017   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add akhav to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1875-79, 2k black and red, groundwork is inverted, partial postal cancellation reads: "S.Petersburg Exped. Pr. Inostr. Kor. 1_ Ma__ 188_" , slight top left corner thin, otherwise fresh colors and intact perforation, VF and extremely rare with five exemplars recorded until now, C.v. $65,000
Valued Member
Iraq
10 Posts
Posted 02/19/2017   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FARAZDAK ALTAMIMI to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good day ladies and gentlemen, Could you please help with value of my stamps ?

Georgia
1 Posts
Posted 09/10/2020   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tatouage to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone,

Could anyone help me to evaluate following stamp?
[URL="https://ibb.co/85pk3D0][/url]

Thank you in advance.
Edited by tatouage - 09/10/2020 4:14 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 7,687Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05