Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Mounted Military Or Police Officer?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,113Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 10/21/2015   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

I have had this card for a while, but, cannot determine if the image is that if a police officer, or a military officer? There aren't any inscriptions on the card at all and the postmark on the back is very feint and I cannot make it out. Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure if I have posted this image in the past or not?
Thanks a lot.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 10/21/2015   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What makes you think it's Canadian?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 10/21/2015   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He don't know how to ride a horse with an English saddle, the stirrup are way to down and way to in front. It's not a lazzyboy ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 10/21/2015   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a dragoon's helmet, but it's difficult to tell without a better scan of the man's uniform (and perhaps the horse's head so one can see the bridle and what type of bit was used, &c.)
Edited by KGB - 10/21/2015 6:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 10/22/2015   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also heard from another forum that it may also be a 'dragoon's helmet. I am getting closer to identifying the uniform.

The card was mailed from within Canada to another destination in Canada, and, this is my reason to believe it is a Canadian type of uniform (?)

Thanks all for your replies.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
United States
627 Posts
Posted 10/22/2015   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jim6092252 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe canadian royal marines
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 10/23/2015   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was checking some boxes of postcards and noticed this particular one portraying an N.W.M.P. (North West Mounted Police) officer in an 1898 dress uniform. I strongly believe that the crest on the helmet is almost the same to that of the officer on horseback in my original posting here.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Edited by Bujutsu - 10/23/2015 5:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 10/23/2015   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chimo, you have the original, of course, but here is another helmet, this one for the Royal Canadian Dragoons. There is another very similar one worn by the cadets at the nation's military academy.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 10/24/2015   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for adding that KGB

If anything else, with all the posts in here, I think I am at least narrowing it down <G>

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4605 Posts
Posted 10/28/2015   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am now leaning towards the Dragoons. My reasoning is that the rays of the badge on the helmet protrudes a little to the sides, whereas, the NWMP badge does not. My image from my original posting appears to be protruding to the side as well. Thanks to KGB for his close-up of the helmet.

Thanks all for your input here.

Chimo

Bujutsu
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,113Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05