Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Zanzibar At War

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,543Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1210 Posts
Posted 11/07/2015   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Tim H to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a souvenir of what is considered to be the shortest war in the world, when Great Britain declared war on Zanzibar on 27 August 1896, and won it in 38 minutes... The picture shows a somewhat devastated sea-front, and the (translated) caption reads "the Palace of Sultan Hamad bin Twain, after the English bombardment"

See more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zanzibar_War

The destination is unusual as well: Bazin, now known as Pezinok in Slovakia.

I don't know the identity of the steamer. Anyone out there able to help?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 11/07/2015   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tim, you always show the most interesting items!

I found this bit of info on the net which might ID your steamer:

Quote:
The steamer that the Post mentions was the HHS Glasgow, the former Sultan's Royal Yacht, an outdated paddle-steamer armed with little more than swivel-guns that attempted to engage nearly 6 times her number of modern steam warships. She was sunk quickly by HMS Thrush, and wasn't recovered until 1912. A photograph of Zanzibar harbour in 1902 6 years after the end of the war still has Glasgow's masts visible sticking out of the water.

http://blog.britishnewspaperarchive...anzibar-war/

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Jenny2U - 11/07/2015 2:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1210 Posts
Posted 11/07/2015   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thx J2U, I thought it might have been HHS Glasgow but she has 3 masts in any pictures I have seen, and the steamer on the postcard has 2. Nice article though :-)
Pillar Of The Community
Norway
1661 Posts
Posted 11/08/2015   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blaamand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tim - adorable piece of postal history, lucky you!
Jenny - I love this kind of historical aspects, thanks for sharing
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1210 Posts
Posted 11/23/2015   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh dear, it's so obvious. Looking at the flag should have given me at least a clue: Deutsche Ost-Afrika-Linie (German East Africa Line). Also, the funnel seems to be showing this livery. There aren't too many pictures on-line, and most of those appear to show pretty much the same basic type, so the chances of identifying the actual vessel are pretty slim. There's a useful site at http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/l...ermann.shtml for anyone who is interested, and gives an idea of the size of the fleet. It could be one of at least 25 vessels.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/25/2015   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A really nice card! Green stamps, red overprints and a nice black CDS. Great contrast!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,543Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05