Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Freaks And Errors - A Rare Collection

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 5,658Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 11/19/2015   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chris2015 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any familiar with this "yet to be completed" documentary film on stamp collecting called "Freaks and Errors - A Rare Collection"?

This has been around for a few years (trying to raise enough money to finish the film), but seems like there's now an updated trailer.

KP-xAP8NlBg

Looks like it could be good PR for stamp collecting!

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/20/2015   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Perhaps they were inspired by http://www.hmhco.com/shop/books/The...780547586700

PS: Am I the only one for whom that trailer does not play?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7336 Posts
Posted 11/20/2015   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It played for me last night, but I was not very impressed with it. I really did not understand what it had to do with freaks and errors!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 11/20/2015   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not meant to focus on collecting "errors" (as that book actually does), but it is more a "play on words" in that some of the most famous and expensive stamps are errors and I suppose "freaks" could refer to the "strangeness" of some stamp collectors, at least some in the film
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 02/05/2016   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like they are started posted several short clips from the movie on YouTube. Check it out. I heard that they are trying to coincide the opening of the movie with the World Stamp Show in May.

A feature-length documentary about postage stamps, collectors and the life-long quest for the obscure.

Created by
Mark Cwiakala
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walter Anderson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen any updates about the movie in a long time. I wonder if it still in the works?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31710 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

..."how do they procrastinate"
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5124 Posts
Posted 02/15/2017   7:54 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the last line. I believe the gentleman in the thumbnail is the owner of Colonial Stamp Co. I see him every year at Chicagopex. A very bombastic persona. He's usually about 3 booths down from Stanley Piller... between the two of them, the air turns blue from all the shouted profanity they tend to use just as part of normal conversation. Now don't get me wrong, I use the occasional, and even regular, F-bomb in conversation, but some of their utterances, and especially at the volume they are, make me wince.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2548 Posts
Posted 03/15/2017   01:05 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither of the two of them is shy. At Westpex one year Geoerge (Colonial) and Jim Forte held a very long very loud conversation that the whole auction viewing crowd had to endure.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7377 Posts
Posted 04/10/2017   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At a show a few years ago I worked in a booth across from Colonial and I don't think he shut up the entire three days....or was it four? It seemed like ten.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 09/08/2017   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arrows2Atoms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a kickstarter donor, I got a notice today to verify my shipping address so they can mail out the DVD. Hopefully this means the film should be out shortly. Really looking forward to seeing the film and how it can help the hobby.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 11/09/2017   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walter Anderson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 11/09/2017   9:30 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's premiering in December. I had a chance to see it early (as a Kickstarter backer of the film). It's entertaining. It was interesting to see how much it changed from its early trailers and concepts to the finished product, as the filmmakers changed their narrative storyline.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2362 Posts
Posted 11/10/2017   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of Irwin Weinberg pictures in the trailer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 11/10/2017   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A lot of Irwin Weinberg pictures in the trailer.

Yeah, very different from the original trailer from a couple of years ago. Based on the trailer, it looks like a movie all about Irwin Weinberg!

Anyway, I'm glad its finally out. Please posts your reviews and comments of the film here if you like.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 12/26/2017   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris2015 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got around to watching this documentary over the holidays and thought I'd write my review of it here. Of course, these are just my thoughts after watching the film, you may have different feelings.

First of all, I would say that it is nice to see something (anything!) produced that portrays stamp collecting in modern times, especially produced for the general public. Just about any stamp collector should enjoy watching the film.

However, having said that, there is very little there to hold the interest of the non-collector general public. I thought the general production value of the film had a lot to be desired. There was essentially no story line to carry the film through the hour (no "narrative arc" as they say). It was basically just a series of (mostly unrelated) profiles of high-end collectors and dealers. Again, like most things about stamp collecting for the public, the focus was on the very few real rarities and the large sums of money that they sell for. This gives the public (including my wife!) the unrealistic view that any stamp collection with a bunch of "old" stamps will make them a fortune when sold. My wife is now planning on funding our retirement with the sell of my 3-volume Scott International worldwide stamp collection

As I said, as a stamp collector, I enjoyed watching the film, but I think it does little to improve the image of stamp collecting or stamp collector to the general public.

Just my 2-cents worth.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 5,658Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05