Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Claud's Cards

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,597Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 11/29/2015   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Claud was a young (23-y/o) man when he set out from a small town in the American Mid-West with "the world's largest travel agency", the United States Army.

We do not know how much older he felt when he returned.

But we do know a lot about where he was, and when he was there, because Claud collected picture postcards throughout his 'visit' to France.

Almost forty (40) cards bear a date, and most bear a further notation, from "we crossed this bridge" to a simple time-of-day.

Of course, it is possible that the dates are simply the date that the individual card was acquired; hopefully, this will be settled 'some day' by mapping the dates & locations on the cards to show a sensible arc of travel or, even better, matching them to a unit's known deployments.

The cards traveled home in Claud's kit; picture postcards with dates & locations would not have passed the censors.

In late 2015, they ended-up in an auction lot, and came into my hands.

I was able to find, by The Magic Of The Net, census records & graves for Claud, his mom, and his dad ... as well as a recent photo of the family home, courtesy of Realtor.com.

I will be posting a few of Claud's cards here on SCF.

Lets begin with the one card bearing an address, stamp & postmark: an American Red Cross Canteen Service postcard sent to his mother before disembarkation to France, which read:

"Dear Mother; We have just been served sandwiches & coffee here. We had the honor of haveing (sic) Miss Wilson the Presidents daughter to serve us. Love Claud"

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1168 Posts
Posted 11/30/2015   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like it's going to be a great three. I love this type postal history and I look forward to your posts,ikeyPikey, as always.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1287 Posts
Posted 11/30/2015   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A truly great story with that card. Most messages written on postcards are not all that remarkable but the message on your card is memorable
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4602 Posts
Posted 11/30/2015   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice ikeyPikey

Cards of both of the World Wars are rich in history.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 11/30/2015   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, ikey. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,597Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05