Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Distinguish 32c Maple Leaf Coil Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 3,606Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
504 Posts
Posted 12/13/2015   05:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anthraquinone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Unitrade 2016 on page 231 says that the 32c Maple leaf coil stamp (951) was printed on Abitibi-Price paper and later on Clark paper (951iii).

On page 26 of the catalogue both these papers are described as having clear gum with no other characteristics.

So how do you separate 951 from 951iii. Was there any marking on the coil wrappers to identify the paper types ?

AQ
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3635 Posts
Posted 12/13/2015   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is some more information: https://www.adminware.ca/checklist/chk_paper.htm
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
504 Posts
Posted 12/13/2015   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I had not seen that page before but under the table of paper types is this comment

Notes:
there is no noticeable difference between Abitibi-Price and Clark papers, particularly on used copies.
[/i][/i]

I guess that means 951 and 951iii cannot be distinguished. I will send an email to Robin Harris and see what he says.

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
3635 Posts
Posted 12/13/2015   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you can check the following and ask dealer the seller how they distinguished them: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/301745363559
Edited by jogil - 12/13/2015 4:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
504 Posts
Posted 12/14/2015   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been told that the easiest way is the coil wrappers. The Abititi-Price coil wrapper was in red-brown ink; the Clark paper wrapper had black ink.

I bought that lot and also asked R. Harris. He made a couple of suggestions about some very slight differences between the papers I will see when my purchases arrive.

AQ
Rest in Peace
7742 Posts
Posted 12/14/2015   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthraquinone...I called all the paper manufacturing companies that supply stamps and asked them for an example of their paper types, they declined saying, sorry, but the law says no.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
504 Posts
Posted 12/14/2015   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting though and thanks for trying. I am not surprised they refused however. They might have thought you wanted to print your own stamps. (I am fairly sure your name will not end up on a police watch list. At least you did not ask for a sample of bank note paper )

In the UK they use to be very worried about this which is the main reason we had watermarked paper for all our stamps until quite recently. I think there was also some regulation as to how wide the sheet margins could be for the same reason.

AQ
Edited by Anthraquinone - 12/14/2015 1:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
504 Posts
Posted 12/20/2015   05:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
well I am not going to get the coils and wrapper parts I thought I would. I have just seen this from eBay.

We're sorry to let you know that stampsmike2151 cancelled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason.

The seller refunded back to your original payment method, and you don't need to do anything else.

Am I being cynical if I wonder if he got a better offer for these from outside eBay

AQ
Edited by Anthraquinone - 12/20/2015 05:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
3635 Posts
Posted 12/20/2015   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For some stamp varieties that are close in catalogue values, sometimes collectors don't bother to collect them both or to tell them apart from each other.
Edited by jogil - 12/20/2015 1:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3635 Posts
Posted 01/17/2016   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could ask the following dealer since he lists both separately: http://www.jacestamps.com/store/

Edited by jogil - 01/17/2016 8:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3635 Posts
Posted 01/17/2016   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
951 has issue date of Feb 10, 1983 and 951 iii has issue date of Feb 15, 1984 Maybe one has 1983 in small print and the other has 1984 in small print
Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 01/17/2016   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both have 1983, they don't redo anything they just print on different paper and gum
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
504 Posts
Posted 01/18/2016   04:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to separate these two papers. The only clue appears to be the coil wrapper (see earlier post) and as these are not attached to the stamps themselves these cannot be relied upon.
Pillar Of The Community
2013 Posts
Posted 01/28/2016   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add area66 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the glue on 1 is more pink .... it's obvious when you have both side by side

Edited by area66 - 01/28/2016 12:05 pm
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
Posted 09/13/2019   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to give this a thread a bump, as I have some strips, and am now trying to determine the difference between the Clark and Abitibi Papers. I was wondering if Robin Harris ever got back to Anthraquinone with any hints?
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
Posted 09/13/2019   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently purchased the strip of 6 stamps on eBay, which had been identified as 951iii on Clark Paper. The strip of 5 was already in my collection. I tried taking some photos last night. Clearly, there is a different tinge to the paper. The suspected 951iii has a creamer look to the paper.

Here is a close up comparing the two. I had hoped to capture the texture of the paper, but failed to do so in this photo.

There is clearly a difference in the intensity and colour of the fluorescence between the two. But I suppose that that could simply be two different lots of paper from the same paper manufacturer.

]

I think my next test will be comparing the Clark and Abitibi papers from the mid 1980's, but using plate blocks where I can be sure of who manufactured the paper. Not sure if that will yield results or not.
Edited by Brad905 - 09/13/2019 1:17 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 3,606Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05