Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

LA Guaira 1/2 Cent Packet Stamp. Is This Genuine?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts
Posted 12/14/2015   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PAPAJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All. New user, first post, so here goes.
Two images taken in different light conditions. No sunshine at the moment. I think this is genuine. Is it?

Found in a tatty album at a local auction. The album seems to go up to 1910 and then no more.
Klasboer says its "RR" very rare. Is this true? If so, whats it worth? I know nothing.

Many thanks in advance for your time and knowledge. papaj.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3993 Posts
Posted 12/14/2015   11:40 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fraught area! Some samples of genuine and fakes here

http://www.jaysmith.com/Lists/Danis...Cabello.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
12 Posts
Posted 12/14/2015   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PAPAJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi GeofHa. Many thanks for the link.
I got toasted on some early Swiss a couple of years ago. So now look to the wider community as they know so much more than me.
Just realised that this is in the wrong forum. Doh!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 12/14/2015   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1122 Posts
Posted 12/14/2015   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PAPAJ: welcome to the Forum. I think there was a thread here on this stamp some months back. Did not check on any of the links; which may identify that La Guaira is the port city for Caracas, Venezuela.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
12 Posts
Posted 12/15/2015   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PAPAJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Climber Steve.
Just did a forum search for Guaira. I should have thought of that, sorry. Thanks for the pointer.
Just a few hits back in June. Mostly for Jesurun issue.
The only on line pictures I can find of this issue are in http://catalogue.klaseboer.com/vol2/html/st_th.htm

Also it seems I need a Blanco catalogue, which is unlikely to come my way as I live on the Island of Jersey in the middle of the English Channel. Along with a Spanish speaker.
Still no closer to knowing if its genuine and its possible value.
Have a good day.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 12/15/2015   03:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi PAPAJ

1992 Blanco catalog:

SAN TOMAS-LA GUAIRA-PUERTO CABELLO
Lithographed in Caracas by Félix Rasco
Sheets of 24 stamps
Imperforate

1/2 centavo
Black on white paper 7
Gray black on white paper 8

I looked on ASOFILCA but I do not see any article(s)on this issue. However, ifm you wish to look yourself the link is: http://www.asofilca.com/

The site is in Spanish but there is a translation button in the upper right corner. For Venezuela this is a great site.

Jerry B

Learn More...
6526 Posts
Posted 12/15/2015   03:35 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert for this issue, but the lines through the numeral would cause me pause. Here is your stamp compared to a known legitimate one...

Edited by 51studebaker - 12/15/2015 03:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 12/15/2015   04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi PAPAJ, 51studebaker

I did not look far enough in Blanco. Thanks 51studebaker for pointing out the difference in numerals.

The information I gave was for the 1864 issue. This issue has no lines through the numeral. However, the 1868-1869 issue has lines through the numerals.

1868-1869
SAN TOMAS-LA GUAIRA-PUERTO CABELLO
Values with horizontal lines
Lithographed in Caracas by Félix Rasco
Sheets of 25 stamps
Imperforate

1/2 centavo black on grayish paper 27

Jerry B
Valued Member
United Kingdom
12 Posts
Posted 12/15/2015   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PAPAJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 51studebaker and jbcev80.
Thank you for your information its a great help. I am amazed at the help and support all you guys offer on this site. Just wonderful.
My next question is.
Is eBay the right place to offer this stamp for sale and what would be a good starting price? I am more interested in it going to a good home rather than making a lot of money. ("a lot of money" might be an overstatement here). I've already covered my costs on the mixed lot it came from. In fact there are 4 pages of USA which I have no idea about and will probably be asking about those as well.
Again many thanks. Peter.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
12 Posts
Posted 12/15/2015   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PAPAJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Went to work and tried a search with Their engine and came across this.
http://www.stamp-photos.com/picture/number1671.asp
Looks like the quest is over.
Many thanks to you all.
Till the next time....Peter.
Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
Posted 05/16/2019   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nl1947 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is somewhat late but noteworthy
The image posted by 51studebaker

Both are genuine
The right one is the 1866 printing with dots
It is much more scarce and quite valuable

The left one is either the 1864 or the 1868 - cannot tell from the image
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26342 Posts
Posted 05/17/2019   04:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05