Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Courtship Oddities

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3883 Posts
Posted 01/29/2016   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

There are a staggering variety of courtship-themed postcards.

Many of them include an element of humor, and many of them are just plain weird'n' wonderful.

My high school required a year of drafting - and offered an elective 'double period' year of surveying - so ...

First up: Love On The Square.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1315 Posts
Posted 01/30/2016   01:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They were Freemasons, right?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3883 Posts
Posted 01/30/2016   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CJP: Well-spotted!

Freemasonry is so far off of my radar screen ... that is the second time I've posted a card with unrecognized (by me) Freemason symbology.

I think that the reason the Masons are in a mental black hole is not unlike the early google search algorithms, that is, I shun anything that often appears in proximity to the words 'conspiracy', 'conspiratorial', et al.

Q/ Is the appearance of the Freemason symbology merely a convenient pun?

Q/ Or, is the card intended to appeal to the Mason market?

Q/ Or, is the pun about the 'public square', as in:

Never kiss at the garden gate,
Love is blind, but the neighbors ain't.

I'm confident that someone contemporary to the card would have been able to better assess the card's intent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry ... for those who know even less about Freemasonry than I

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3883 Posts
Posted 01/30/2016   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Q/ Is the premise that they are lost, and she's looking for a landmark?

Never underestimate the cheer-up value of the uplook!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1315 Posts
Posted 01/31/2016   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I interpret the Freemason card as intended to appeal to that community. The carpenters square is the symbol of morality, virtue and order. The man sits astride it, legs crossed, connoting purity or morality. His right hand is not visible and does not appear at her waist as the pose might suggest, again showing his restraint in their courtship. Her arms form an angle that mimics that of the compass, which symbolizes beauty and balance. Their attire is chaste and she gazes at him with admiration, yet stretches away slightly, maintaining distance. In all, the card would connote to other Freemasons the confidence of moral love that their faith promotes, saying to them, how lucky you are to court one so respectable, so Godly.
Edited by cjpalermo1964 - 01/31/2016 12:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3883 Posts
Posted 02/25/2016   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If any of you kids ever wanted to know what your mother meant when she said "before you were a gleam in your father's eyes", well, here's the gleam.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Edited to add: Postcard from the collection of Michael Lebbert.
Edited by ikeyPikey - 02/25/2016 9:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3883 Posts
Posted 04/12/2016   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Footnote!

Just for grins, the Auction Leprechaun (who bestows the luck-of-the-lot) has delivered ~2/3 of a 30-postcard book about Mysticism & Alchemy, including this one about Freemasonry.

The high production value is typical of Taschen.

Given the Love On The Square postcard in the OP, I figgered this might as well go here.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05