Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint Face Value Postage @ 50%

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3634 Posts
Posted 01/31/2016   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The hotel meeting room next door to a recent meeting of my favorite postcard club was taken by a fellow with a 'Tag Sale'.

There was the usual garage sale stuff, and there was some just-a-little-better-than-garage-sale stuff.

And there were also two cartons full of US mint sheets (mostly 30-odd-cent era), with their very high quality stiffeners inside their USPS factory-sealed cellophane wrappers.

He was selling these at 50% face value, and not a few of us (the current domestic postcard rate being 30-odd-cents) bought a few.

I guess that he had not had that much success selling MFVP sheets in the past, because he finally asked one of us what we were going to do with all of those stamps.

Much to his chagrin, the answer was, of course, "postage".

He replied that he had thought that he would be selling the stamps to "collectors" for "collecting".

Now, think about this. The same guy who bought these sheets at a price low enough that he could make a profit at 50% face value thought that he was selling genuine collectibles.

I mean, like, you'd think that he oughta be the first one to know better, right?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
Posted 01/31/2016   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laughing out loud. Good score! Wonder what he paid for them. 30c rates are good because you don't have to lick 50 stamps to mail a priority mail envelope.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
Posted 01/31/2016   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add XNBer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe he thought he was P.T. Barnum of "one born every minute" fame.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
Posted 02/01/2016   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmmm, aren't you a collector?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3634 Posts
Posted 02/01/2016   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Hmmmmm, aren't you a collector? ...

Not of USPS mint sheets.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 02/01/2016   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not surprised
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About 10 years ago during the depths of the great recession, I purchased a lot of 29c to 37c postage stamp sheets/booklets at a garage sale for 50% of FV. What is the probability of being able to sell them myself at a garage sale in the future for 50% of FV if economic times get rough? If one is able to purchase common postage stamps at 50% of FV, is it recession proof, in that it is highly likely that you will be able to easily sell them in the future for 50% of FV at a garage sale?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2508 Posts
Posted 05/18/2019   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just remember that face value "per stamp" is a percentage of value as postage...and that percentage keeps sinking as time goes on.
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   03:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbndrbob: I don't understand how the percentage value of postage keeps sinking as time goes on. For example, if next year the first class rate increases to 58c and I purchased 100 29c stamps for $14.50, I would be able to mail 50 1oz letters for half-price.
Learn More...
6645 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   03:54 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the point of shaming anyone who might be a collector of modern stamps?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2342 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may have purchased a few.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2508 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At this point, the 10c and up stamps are still useful for paying bills that aren't paid online. Sometimes the 1c - 8c can be used to "finish the job", but their general use for letters and parcels has been minimalized by inflation and rising rates.

So, selling these low face value stamps would seem to be a little tougher than for the higher values, IMO.
Valued Member
96 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For many years 30 or so cents has been the going price for discount postage equivalent to whatever the letter rate has been at the time. Decreasing demand for postage is driving that.
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you got a good deal!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3634 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Q/ Is the 30% the dealers' selling price, or asking price?

I've mostly seen dealers asking 70-100% of Face Value; this 50% guy was the rare exception.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
Posted 05/19/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a few dealer's at the Albany, NY monthly show that has mint U.S. at 50%. Most of the stamps are 25 cents and less which is fine for my needs.
Edited by Battlestamps - 05/19/2019 11:14 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05