Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern Die Cut And No-Die-Cut Press Sheets

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 16,346Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
Posted 02/17/2016   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add msfong to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is official now - There will not be any Moon Press Sheet without die-cut. I echo with JLLebbert - there is a first time for everything.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 02/17/2016   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've suspected for some time now that there would not be a no-die-cut press sheet for the 'Moon' stamp. We should know positively tomorrow when the postal bulletin comes out.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/17/2016   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 02/18/2016 Postal Bulletin is now online and you are correct in your assumption that there will NOT be a Global Forever Moon Press Sheet WITHOUT die cuts. FWIW, the die cut press sheet is limited to a printing of 1000.

Edited by wt1 - 02/17/2016 9:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 02/17/2016   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What remains to be seen is if this means an end to all without die cut press sheets. Given the extremely limited nature of the Allen, Columbia River Gorge, and Botanical Art issues that would not seem out of the question.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The following is a copy of an email that I just sent to Mark Saunders with the USPS in Washington, DC.

Hi Mark,
I noticed in the 2/18/2016 Postal Bulletin that there will not be a no-die-cut press sheet for the Global Forever 'Moon' stamp.
I'm wondering the reason for this.
Is the end of the no-die-cut program? ...or is something else going on.
Is it possible that the no-die-cut sheets will only be available for subscribers.

Thanks for you input on this matter.

Jill Ambrose
Pillar Of The Community
711 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What was the total cost for a subscription to the Press Sheet Program last year for the No die cut sheets? So far this year it would be the cost would be about $300 for commemoratives with another almost $1100 for the two definitives. Does the subscription program include both the die cut and no die sheets? Can you subscribe to only the no die cut sheets?

Seems to be that only people with very deep pockets could subscribe and even dealers must have some limit to what they are willing to spend.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glenn Estus, and others with similar concerns,

Quote:

What was the total cost for a subscription to the Press Sheet Program last year for the No die cut sheets? So far this year it would be the cost would be about $300 for commemoratives with another almost $1100 for the two definitives. Does the subscription program include both the die cut and no die sheets? Can you subscribe to only the no die cut sheets?

The total cost for one of each no-die-cut press sheets last year would have been $2577.20. The subscription cost would have been $200.00 cheaper because the $2.00 Patriotic Waves stamp was not included in the subscriptions.

Stamps that are priced above the Global Forever rate, currently $1.20, are not included in subscriptions. Because of that, the $2.00 Patriotic Waves stamps were not included in the subscription program last year. Also, the two definitives this year, the Priority Mail and the Express Mail stamps were not in the subscription program. They had to be ordered separately.

The subscription program can be set up for either die-cut and/or no-die-cut stamps. You can sign up for one or the other, or both. There is also the option to sign up for commemoratives only and or definitives only.

You have to be careful with the last options. As I stated in my new book on no-die-cut press sheets, the people at Stamp Fulfillment Services do not seem to know the difference between a commemorative and a definitive, and what they determine is a commemorative might be different than what we think. So, if you have a commemorative only subscription, you might actually miss out on a press sheet or two because SFS had determined that a particular sheet is a definitive and visa versa.

Another problem with the subscription program is that the press sheets are only mailed out in groups, generally 4 or 5 times a year. As of today, no one with a subscription has received any of the press sheets this year. If you want to be selective and not get all the press sheets, then you are at the mercy of the market and you will probably miss some because of early sell outs.

Yes, the cost is high to get all of the press sheets. I would guess that no more than a hundred or so collectors are collecting the full press sheets. Dealers generally can sell enough of the cut up press sheets in a timely manner to finance the purchase of future press sheets. Some collectors only want a single, a pair or a full pane, and going through a dealer is the way to accomplish that.

And last but not least, my book, which is 80 pages in color, covers the no-die-cut press sheets from July of 2012 to the end of 2015. The title is "A Guidebook and Checklist, U.S. Postal Service No-Die-Cut Stamps, 2012 to 2015." It's for sale on Amazon.com and eBay at $14.99 plus shipping. To find the book, type my name, Jill R. Ambrose, into the search bar. If you want to order directly from me and get an autographed copy, I am selling them for $11.00 plus $3.14 postage.
Edited by JillA - 02/18/2016 09:10 am
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add slpslp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JillA - It seems I cannot send you an email - so if you can send me one tell me how to order your book from you direct. How long do I need to be a member before email is allowed?
Pillar Of The Community
1396 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
slpslp,

I think you have to have 50 postings.

Basil
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I probably can not send an email either.
Jill Ambrose
P. O. Box 54622
Cincinnati OH 45254
Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
711 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the Stamp Community Forum, the AFDCS liaison to the USPS says that the reason there was no no-die cut International Forever press sheet was due to production problems. He also says that there are about 100 subscriptions to the no-die press sheets.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add msfong to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good information. There are about 100 subscriptions to the No-Die-Cut press sheets. Let's say the average press sheet per subscription is 3, and 300 press sheets will be gone immediately.

And of course, if Mystic is part of the subscriptions, and everybody is sure they are, they may get 200 press sheets right away. There is not much left for retail.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the AFDCS liaison to the USPS says that the reason there was no no-die cut International Forever press sheet was due to production problems...

That's an interesting comment. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me a no-die cut version of a press sheet would have less "production problems" than one with die cuts. Or maybe I just don't understand the production process of new stamp issues. In any case, it seems this is quickly becoming a catch-all explanation whenever the USPS is asked to justify their delays.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add slpslp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that someone forgot to pull the sheets prior to die cutting - either accidentally or on purpose - either that or the pulled sheets all got ruined by some fluke - again, who knows
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fellow Stamp Community collectors.
Below is the email that I received from Mark Saunders when I returned home a few minutes ago.
"Hi Jill,
Hope you're doing well. There will not be a non-die cut press sheet for the Moon stamp issuance. To provide the best customer service, USPS is in the process of re-evaluating our line of stamps and philatelic products. Thanks for your interest in our stamp program."

Mark Saunders
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 16,346Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05