Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern Die Cut And No-Die-Cut Press Sheets

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 16,349Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1227 Posts
Posted 07/13/2016   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
apastuszak: The last imperf (thus far) was the Year of the Monkey on Feb. 5. No press sheets without die-cuts have been produced since then. Of course, the USPS could start these up again in a few months.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3011 Posts
Posted 07/14/2016   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would welcome the end of this era in postal history.
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
Posted 07/14/2016   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JillA to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope that the situation is temporary, and I would welcome the return of no-die-cut press sheets.
I find them fascinating, unusual and very collectible.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1624 Posts
Posted 07/15/2016   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sdtom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never had an interest in them.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 07/15/2016   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of postal history here is an interesting item a good friend of mine sent me as a gift. A no die cut Chinese Lunar New Year of the Horse (Scott 4846 var) single used to pay the first class rate and marked Return to Sender Postage Due. Evidently the stamp was not recognized as valid for postage. It is indeed tied by the bars cancel with a double marking on the backside May 16, 2016 and again June 28, 2016.

I think the modern no die cut press sheets, as polarizing as they have become, were interesting issues and maybe worthy of a nickname, such as Donahoe's Dillemmas. No die cut press sheets are a chapter that could have been taken out of James Farley's book, except they are already far more scarce than the Farley Follies.

Edited by Crouse27 - 07/15/2016 10:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 01/27/2017   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dkucyk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WTH is Linns referencing with Front page article of Uncut Press Sheets for 2016/17?

Doug
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1227 Posts
Posted 01/27/2017   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Crouse27: Your no-die-cut year of the horse example reminds me of a tale told to me by a collector friend from North Carolina. Shortly after the Jamestown triangles (Scott 4136) were issued (in 2008 I think), he bought a sheet to use for postage. His first letter using the new stamps was returned by the USPS with a message to the effect that he should use U.S. rather than foreign postage.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to believe this thread has been quiet for 3 years! I have been revisiting my collection of NDC individual panes and filling in gaps working with Several good dealers many of whom are on SCF.

Prices have steadily moved higher and many items are very scarce to unavailable despite modest Scott catalog values. I'm noting many sheets have been cut up for singles, pairs, blocks, and gutter positions (a resurrection of Farley style of collecting). I'm also noting sheets that are improperly trimmed unevenly with scissors, or with impinged or removed reverse side USPS edge inscriptions. I return several of these to dealers. For sheets to be properly cut as if done by USPS, one must observe the reverse edge inscriptions and preferably use a guillotine.

So quality panes could be even more scarce.

Considering Bugs Bunny Imperf sheets (Scott 3138) have come down from $120-140 10 years ago to $50-60 today (and issued at over 100,000 copies) it suggests most of the 2013-2016 NDC panes are still relative long term bargains. A difference though is the special-issue-only-available-from-SFS-:Bugs received a distinct Scott number assignment while the NDC's are insulted as minor number varieties at the moment. Makes no sense.

I'm looking for the NDC Columbia River Gorge press sheet or three panes if anyone knows whereabouts for an undamaged copy.
Edited by Crouse27 - 05/13/2020 12:06 am
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 03/29/2021   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

http://goscf.com/t/75857&whichpage=3#688329

***Please do not 'cross post'***

Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 16,349Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05