Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stage Magic And Magicians

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,062Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2016   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kollectorkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not a very broad collection, following a strict definition for a "topical" collection, but done thematically, one which is near and dear to my heart.

US #3651 - Harry Houdini (2002) single and pane

US #3651v (as in vanished!) An easy trick, once the secret is revealed!

Gentle pressure with a gum eraser removes the ink.
Send note to Staff
Edited by kollectorkurt - 02/14/2016 5:32 pm

Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2016   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kollectorkurt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not just a plain old ordinary UX55 postal card. One of the last surviving First Day of Foolin' card, issued for the Grand Opening of Romig Magic and Book Company in 1971. This one is unused, I have a properly mailed one addressed to me in my grandfather's handwriting and I know of one other in a private collection of magic in California.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2016   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kollectorkurt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the issuance of the Houdini stamp, I was able to create very special FDCs using a few of my grandfather's surviving publicity post cards.

Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2016   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kollectorkurt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1951, as a memorial at the 25th anniversary of Houdini's death, the International Brotherhood of Magicians had a Cinderella stamp issued. I had two of these in 2002, and used one to create a unique FDC on a 1950's IBM seal envelope.

Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2016   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kollectorkurt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Second Annual IBM Convention in 1927 saw a set of promotional stamps issued. I have a "set" of four, all on different colored paper. I have heard that one exists on blue paper but I have never seen one.

white and yellow paper

green and orange paper
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 02/14/2016   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kollectorkurt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also include advertising covers in my collection, preferably addressed to the shop address. One of my favorites, an oversized cover from Belgian manufacturer Mephisto-Huis, postmarked 24.4.78.

Pillar Of The Community
Brazil
637 Posts
Posted 04/07/2021   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bhutan

60th aniversary of Mickey Mouse - 12v

Magicians are those that do magic.

So, here is Mickey Mouse as a wizard in animated movie Fantasy, from Walt Disney productions

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1134 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Outremer01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Britain
15th March 2005
Centenary of Magic Circle

rubbing with a coin will reveal the head or tail of a coin (printed on alternate rows of sheet)

optical illusion

spotted scarf is printed in thermochromic ink which fades temporarily when exposed to heat

optical illusion

the centre fez is printed in thermochromic ink which fades temporarily when exposed to heat to reveal a pyramid
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1134 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Outremer01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Britain
23rd April 1998
Comedians
Tommy Cooper - comedian but also a talented magician, even if he did sometimes reveal the secret of his tricks!

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1650 Posts
Posted 04/09/2021   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From Linn's Stamp News, Aug.21 2018, illusionist David Copperfield (who has appeared on a few stamps himself) revealed the US 2018 stamp issue "The Art of Magic":

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...ication.html
Pillar Of The Community
Brazil
637 Posts
Posted 05/20/2021   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
France

Famous Persons - 2v

The stamp remembers the 100 years of death of Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin (1805-1871), a French watchmaker, magician and illusionist, widely recognized as the father of the modern style of conjuring. He transformed magic from a pastime for the lower classes, seen at fairs, to an entertainment for the wealthy, which he offered in a theatre opened in Paris, a legacy preserved by the tradition of modern magicians to perform in tails. (wiki)

Valued Member
Spain
301 Posts
Posted 05/20/2021   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
In the Spanish forum you have a colleague, he also collects magic. His avatar is that 37 c Houdini stamp.
I gave him the FDC UK 2005 and he was very happy.
Regards.
Pillar Of The Community
Brazil
637 Posts
Posted 08/12/2021   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
India

Personalities - 4v

The stamp honor the Indian magician Protul Chandra Sorcar (1913 – 1971). He was an internationally active magician throughout the 1950s and 1960s, performing his Indrajal show before live audiences and on television.

Pillar Of The Community
Brazil
637 Posts
Posted 08/19/2021   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russia, Soviet Union

Moscow Circus - 5v

The stamp honors Emil Teodorovich Kio (1894 – 1965), a Soviet illusionist and magician. His sons, Igor Kio and Emil Kio, Jr., became famous Soviet magicians as well.

Emil Teodorovich Kio on stage
Pillar Of The Community
Brazil
637 Posts
Posted 08/24/2021   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Monaco

XXII Monte Carlo Magic Stars - 1v

The Magic Stars event, born in 1985 under the aegis of HSH Prince Rainier III of Monaco , has become a flagship event recognized by all the great magic professionals around the world. Its purpose is to defend the Art of Magic and to make it better known to the general public. (wiki)
Pillar Of The Community
Brazil
637 Posts
Posted 08/27/2021   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Monaco

5es Grands Prix Magiques de Monte-Carlo

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 2,062Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05